Welkom op het GitaarNet.
+ Reageren op discussie
Weergegeven resultaten: 1 t/m 8 van 8

Discussie: Gabriel Kahane

Standaard Gabriel Kahane

Net ontdekt. Mooi. Wauw. Een soort van one-man Bon Iver met piano, maar dan harmonisch veel complexer. Klassiek, jazz, prog, in een folk/indie jasje.

Wauw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Kahane

Standaard

Nu wordt t echt een soort jazz version van Bpn Iver, met een 'band'. Volgens een mij een groot aantal muzikanten in een aantal appartementen gelinkt door alleen een metronoom en sheet music geloof ik.

Mooi!!!

Standaard

Mooie clip en tekst ook trouwens. Mooi totaalproduct.

Standaard

Ik kan er niets mee :-)

Standaard

Dat kan

De tekst gaat idd over een moeder-dochter relatie. Mooie, ontroerende achtergrondinformatie:

[Music (solo piano): Kahane, Works on Paper - Veda; performed by Jeffrey Kahane]

Gabriel Kahane’s “Veda” is a song inspired by a mother-daughter relationship from the 1945 movie “Mildred Pierce.” The song features a tumultuous relationship between an adoring mother and an overly demanding daughter. The lyrics are from Mildred’s, the mother’s, point of view, as she sings to her daughter. “Take my blood and take my marrow,” she offers, “scrape the meal from my bones. Pierce my heart if you please with your arrow.” Mildred sacrifices her body and soul for her daughter, working tirelessly day and night in her restaurant. But her love is never reciprocated. Veda is ashamed of her mother’s low social status. Despite Mildred’s plentiful gifts and constant doting, Veda will never be satisfied.

In a paraphrase of his song for solo piano, Gabriel writes music that mirrors Mildred’s overwhelming and unrequited love for Veda. He instructs that the melody be played “clear and cold,” and “always singing.” Underneath the singing melody lurk chords that are wrought with tension. They wander in and out of dissonances, and ebb and flow with bursts of passion.

Despite their audible turmoil, the chords maintain a stubborn commitment to their rhythm. “Though you sneer and crack wise, I won’t waver,” promises Mildred in the song lyrics, “But Veda, my darling, come in, come in.”

Jeffrey Kahane, who is, incidentally, Gabriel’s father, performs this piece at a summer concert at Tippet Rise. As Jeffrey plays, he occasionally reaches into the piano to touch the strings. This is a technique that produces harmonics, which are notes that sound higher in pitch, softer in volume, and clearer in timbre than if he had used the keyboard to play that same note. The harmonics shimmer like stars above the dark and murky harmonies in the low bass.

[musical excerpt]

At the end of the song, Mildred acknowledges that her love for her daughter has transformed her life. It has become her ruling compass, at the expense of her own direction: “If I’ve lost my way, it was only to please you,” she confesses. She compromises anything and everything, including her own life, out of love for her daughter.

While Mildred’s love for Veda is one of her flesh and blood, the love portrayed in Richard Wagner’s opera “Tristan und Isolde” reaches beyond the limits of the physical world. This opera, which premiered in Munich, Germany in 1865, tells the story of Tristan and Isolde, two lovers who share a connection so powerful that it brings them together despite all obstacles.

Favorieten/bladwijzers

Favorieten/bladwijzers

Regels voor berichten