Welkom op het GitaarNet.
+ Reageren op discussie
Weergegeven resultaten: 1 t/m 6 van 6

Standaard In my Life (the Beatles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7SPf3-q3fY

One of my favourite Beatles tunes. Admittedly, there are quite a few

I always liked the fact that many of their recordings featured unusual instrumentation. This is one of the earlier examples, with the instrumental interlude. Allthough it actually is a piano, the sound is reminiscent of a clavecimbel. This was caused by the fact that sir George Martin had to come up with a solo, and returned with a bit of 'faux Bach' type counterpoint. As he could not play it in the tempo of the tune, apparently it was recorded at half speed. The style of that section, combinend with the pitched up sound of the recording, caused that clavecimbel feel. Possibly even unintentional, but that made that particular section stand out even more.

All the guitar arrangements I've been able to find simplify that bit, using pretty much only the higher voice of the counterpoint, and adding some of the bass guitar part. I've always felt that it was the counterpoint in the piano that made it special. Trouble is, it does not translate well to guitar. So I've been able to find a way to play most of it, just not in the tempo that the song requires... long story short, I play a simplified version in the middle, and decided to do a slower reprise at the end, of something that actually is much closer to what George Martin composed... and it still is, how shall we say, a challenge....

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this one. One of these lifetimes I'll actually be able to pull it of

PS Thanks to Adam Rafferty, of whom I copied some ideas in the first verse, played low.pied some ideas in the first verse, played low.

Standaard

Knap hoor. Die had ik al lang niet meer gehoord (mijn beatlesvinyls beginnen pas vanaf sgt peppers), en dat was een goeie manier om 'm terug te horen.
    Is clavecimbel niet harpsichord in het Engels?

Standaard

Dank je! That should best once can! Rubber Soul en Revolver moeten toch echt ook wel in de verzameling. Vond hun tweede LP With the Beatles ook goed te pruimen. Help en A Hard Days Night hebben best wat vul materiaal, en een aantal erg sterke tracks. Beatles for sale is weer wat evenwichtiger, als ik het me goed herinner.

Standaard

O juist, revolver heb ik ook. Het was zowat de enige goede plaat uit mijn vader zijn collectie (hij had 'm kado gehad en luisterde er zelf nooit naar), dus ik ken 'm door en door. (ik doe hem oneer aan. Hij leverde me verder nog wat fijne platen klassieke muziek, een tof elvisverzamelalbum en een foute liefde voor harry belafonte).
    Om een of andere reden blijft mijn brein revolver vlak na sgt peppers plaatsen, my mistake.

Ooit had ik "de rode" om de periode daarvoor samen te vatten, maar die is reeds jaren mysterieus zoek...

Standaard

Een van de betere Beatles nummers.
    En goed vertolkt !
    Het snellere gedeelte is lastig, zo te horen, maar niet minder knap gedaan.
    En het lijkt allemaal weer zo makkelijk....
    Yamaha FG-230 (12-snarig), Eastman E10-OM, Martin D28, Yamaha G-100A, Squier Affinity Tele, Ibanez RGA42FM, Santa Cruz OM Koa

Standaard

Dank je! De contrapuntversie zoals in het origineel gaat ooit nog wel lukken... Mocht iemand ooit een fingerstyleversie vinden die dat stukje echt goed heeft (dus beide stemmen van de originele pianosolo) en op tempo laat het even weten!

Favorieten/bladwijzers

Favorieten/bladwijzers

Regels voor berichten