PDA

View Full Version : The Masotti X100M is MINE, lange review

LordRiffenstein
5 juli 2006, 07:48
Ja, ik heb de Masotti X100M gekocht!!! :rockon: :rockon: Heb hier een lange review, hoop dat jullie er geen probleem mee hebben dat ik hem even in't Engels post, anders zoek ik wel een Marktplaats-scammer om hem 'professioneel' te vertalen :)

First of all, I need to thank the guys at Masotti for sending me this amp on trial, they are first class guys with great customer service.

The head arrived in a flightcase and when I opened it, I saw a great classic looking amp. The black tolex is done perfectly and looks stunning with the salt n pepper grill cloth. I was also greated with that wellknown ‘new-gear-smell’ :-) Taking it out of the case was another story as this amp is HEAVY. I soon discovered that the reason for this are the HUGE transformers. The version I have is the X100M (Modern) loaded with 6L6 and can be had with EL34. There’s also a Classic version with EL34s that has less gain for the more classic rock guys.

The frontpanel is very well layed out with the power and standby switches on the right. Next to them is a bright switch that works on all channels and the controls for the clean channel (drive, bass,middle,high,volume). Further to the right we continue with the drive controls for the crunch and lead channel, the shared EQ for these channels and their separate volumes. The version I have has some modifications. A boost on the crunch channel as well as a 2nd master volume were added. There are little toggle switches for these functions inbetween the Clean and Crunch/Lead section. Round the back you find the usual power input and speaker outputs to suite pretty much any cab-situation. You can also find the serial loop send and return with it’s bypass switch. On a standard model, you have the Master Volume, Depth and Presence on the opposite side of the power input but as mine is modified, the Depth control was replaced by the 2nd Master and moved to the Line Out level control (so I have no level control on the line out) Finally, the X100M has midi build in so you also find the Midi In and Thru here as well as a dedicated input for the standard footswitch (allows switching of the 3 channels + loop) on the back panel. Stock amp has the 3 channels, the loop and the bright midi-switchable.

http://www.lordriffenstein.com/images/Masotti1.jpg

The amp is loaded with 4 Sovtek power tubes and it has 7 pre-amp tubes. Every amp goes thru the hand of masterbuilder Pierangelo and he will carefully select the best tubes to get the best sound from the channels. Mine is loaded with several different tubes (JJ, EH..) The result is not only an amp sounding it’s best but also a total absence of noise, even on high gain this amp is extremely silent.

My first tests were done with my Engl 2x12 loaded with V30. Masotti claims that they have a special EQ developed and I’m not a technical guy but I can tell you that it works excellently. If you turn the EQ controls to 0, you have no sound so you can dial in lows/mids/highs as much or as little as you want. I also found that the controls are highly interactive which results in a lot of tones available. After playing it for almost 3 weeks, I feel I have only scraped the surface of available tones. The amp arrived on Wednesday and during the following weekend I had an Ampfest at my place and discovered Paul Lenders (http://www.paullenders.com/) cabinets. The PL 2x12 sounded way better then the Engl, more balanced, better mids etc I got to test this cab the past 2 weeks and have since ordered one and should have it this weekend. The Masotti X100M really shines with this cab.

The clean channel on the Engl Savages is def not bad but the Masotti is a big step up. I had problems founding THE clean tone at first but in the end it was clear that I was getting lotsa different great clean tones, just different then what I got from the Engls. The clean does a big range from funky to fat jazzy and has a LOT of headroom. With the drive dimed and humbuckers, you can get a slight breakup but you better keep the volume down. The bright switch is most noticeable on this channel and really changes the tone of the channel, not making it brighter but it seems to add some chime/shimmer to the sound. Switching to the crunch channel, the first thing I noticed was how big it sounded and then I discovered how responsive it is. Riding the volume pot gets you plenty of different tones from clean to pretty raunchy. With the added boost and the gain above 12:00, you get into thick fat heavy rhythm tones. I’d say there’s more gain on tap then ch3 of the Savages. The boost is not big but just right to take the channel to a next step of gain and it adds just a little amount of volume. The crunch channel takes pedals very well, both with or without the boost engaged. Without the boost, I really dig adding the RC booster to it for fat riffing. The lead channel is really that, a fat and smoothing lead sound. It shares the EQ with the crunch channel but that’s no problem, the channel’s voicings match each other perfectly. It does not have as much gain as my Savages and if you go beyond 2:00 it starts to compress a bit more. The lead channel is highly addictive and it’s just as responsive as the other channels. Pickup selection makes all the difference and it takes single coils as good as humbucker. Although I think it is possible, playing metal is not the forte of this channel. With the right guitar (EMG-loaded) it would be possible to get some good metal tones from it but I think it’s more suited/voiced for fat lead tones and fusion playing. Do not dispear however, Masotti can and will tweak this amp to suite your needs and can turn it into a total metalbeast if wanted(check the clips on their site).

So far I have done a couple of rehearsals and gigs with the X100M in combination with the PL-cab and it’s been a blast to play. Besides the fact that it sounds excellent, I’m having a ball getting all those great tones straight from the guitar controls and my playing style (or lack thereof). I find myself needing/using less pedals to get the tones and it makes me play more relaxed. The gigs I did were with my allround coverband and I had to get tones ranging from funky clean to heavy rock and the X100M delivered them all. The amp sits perfectly in the mix, cuts thru with ease, has plenty of lows but not overwhelming. The most important thing for me is that the X100M gets me a set of tones that’s widely different from my beloved Engl-sound, sounds that I was unable to find in the Engls nor in most of the multi-channel amps I have played. Add to that the hugeness and responsiveness of the amp and you can understand that this amp nails it for me.

I have always said that it would take a very impressive amp for me to let go one of the Savages and during the past 6 years I have tested many and only found a couple of amps that would qualify. Most of these amps however would be a compromise in versatility and would have let to a complete re-design of my setup. The Masotti X100M with the additional features is so far the first and only amp that really qualifies. I had it up and running with my entire setup (rack etc) in less than 30mins and haven’t made any changes to fx presets or whatever BUT have found another set of tones that I was unable to get from my Engls. Am I selling one of the Savages? Not yet but it will probably happen in a couple of months as it will be a BIG toss up about which Savage to sell.

Mitch
5 juli 2006, 09:31
Nice read ! Nou dus beslissen wat er weg mag, da's lastig :(

marc_o
5 juli 2006, 09:54
Leuke bespreking weer inderdaad, maar als je moet kiezen welke Savage er weg moest, zou ik die ene ENGL wegdoen...jeweetwel, die met al die knoppen... :)

Ben erg benieuwd naar je Masotti...ligt de klank een beetje in de HOOK-hoek?

LordRiffenstein
5 juli 2006, 10:01
Leuke bespreking weer inderdaad, maar als je moet kiezen welke Savage er weg moest, zou ik die ene ENGL wegdoen...jeweetwel, die met al die knoppen... :)

Ben erg benieuwd naar je Masotti...ligt de klank een beetje in de HOOK-hoek?

Ja, wat mag/moet er weg. De Savage120 waar ik ondertussen al 6 jaar mee loop te spelen, of de SavageSE die het laatste jaar toch mijn voorkeur heeft (beetje smaak verandering ed).....

Grappig dat vaak die Hook ter sprake komt want een van mijn eerste reacties toen ik het crunch kanaal hoorde was dat dit mij erg deed denken aan de crunch van de Hook. Gebalanceerd, mids iets lager gevoiced dan bij Engl, lekker crunchy maar niet scherp en als je hem pushed met humbuckers dan krijg je zo'n romige sound. Net als bij de Hook, hangt heel veel af van hoe je speelt, pickups ed.

marc_o
5 juli 2006, 10:57
Ja, wat mag/moet er weg. De Savage120 waar ik ondertussen al 6 jaar mee loop te spelen, of de SavageSE die het laatste jaar toch mijn voorkeur heeft (beetje smaak verandering ed).....

Grappig dat vaak die Hook ter sprake komt want een van mijn eerste reacties toen ik het crunch kanaal hoorde was dat dit mij erg deed denken aan de crunch van de Hook. Gebalanceerd, mids iets lager gevoiced dan bij Engl, lekker crunchy maar niet scherp en als je hem pushed met humbuckers dan krijg je zo'n romige sound. Net als bij de Hook, hangt heel veel af van hoe je speelt, pickups ed.

Zag laatst Haaksma aan de gang met zijn versterker en verdomme, dat was niet te versmaden hoor....dus als die Massotti erop lijkt, hulde!

krieke
5 juli 2006, 13:14
goeie bespreking

The frontpanel is very well layed out with the power and standby switches on the right.

bedoel je hier niet links :p

cosmos
5 juli 2006, 14:33
Gefeliciteerd, ben erg benieuwd. Hoop er binnenkort eentje in Italië te kunnen testen! Wat heb je nou betaald voor die amp?

LordRiffenstein
5 juli 2006, 15:09
goeie bespreking

bedoel je hier niet links :p

Kijk toch iemand die het helemaal gelezen heeft :cooler: Dat krijg je met die internet vertalingen :soul:

LordRiffenstein
6 juli 2006, 10:58
Om een idee te geven van de grote van de trannies, ze komen hoger dan de eindbuizen:

http://lordriffenstein.com/images/Masotti2.jpg

jorrit
6 juli 2006, 14:13
pm me ff als je die savage 120 weg gaat doen...

vette amp trouwens!

Bins
6 juli 2006, 15:28
Klinkt goed. Alleen uit het feit dat je zo'n uitgebreide review erover kan schrijven blijkt al hoe goed je de amp vind :)

Chiel
6 juli 2006, 16:54
Het blijft een plaatje hoor. Zelfs het chassis achter het doek is hoogglans gespoten! Over afwerking gesproken.
Nog ff geduld Yoeri, gaan we 'm A/B-en met de mijne :dance:. Zal me het dagje wel worden ;).

Grt,
Chiel

Punt
6 juli 2006, 19:25
Zijn er al clips te beluisteren...? :)

krieke
6 juli 2006, 19:37

http://www.lordriffenstein.com/sound/Masotti.avi

LordRiffenstein
7 juli 2006, 11:23

Behalve die 30s video ga ik volgende week wat clips opnemen!

kokeleko
7 juli 2006, 13:44
Om een idee te geven van de grote van de trannies, ze komen hoger dan de eindbuizen:

http://lordriffenstein.com/images/Masotti2.jpg

Das handig als ie op de kop moet om te biassen.

Anders Destium
7 juli 2006, 19:57
Bedankt voor de review, en veel plezier er van natuurlijk ;)

maestro_nl
8 juli 2006, 00:55
Je kunt m testen op de demodag van GtrGear zaterdag 22 juli.

LordRiffenstein
8 juli 2006, 08:48
Lijkt eerder op poedercoat...

Lijkt zo vanwege de foto maar hij is wel degelijk hoogglans gespoten :p

Chiel
8 juli 2006, 10:45
Lol 1-0 voor mij Nico :dance:.