PDA

View Full Version : Brian May's "Yellow Special"

Wouter J
28 april 2006, 00:53
Okee, ik neem aan dat iedereen wel weet over die overbekende rode zelfbouw "Red Special" gitaar van Brian May en de kopiën gemaakt door Guild, Burns en Greg Fryer die door May als Back-up gitaren in zowel de studio als bij optredens van Queen zijn gebruikt. Veel minder is er echter te vinden over de allereerste back-up van Brain's beroemde gitaar. De rest van deze post is in het engels omdat ik hem ook op andere forums wil plaatsen.

The story of Brian May's "Yellow special"

When I was a kid just starting to discover music, one of the first bands that really caught my ear was Queen. Brian May with his Red Special was always there, until I saw a Video for "We will rock you" and I went "Huh, he has a yellow one too?"
http://www.brianmaycentral.net/birch.jpg

Mind you this was in the days before internet and to find out what the story behind that Yellow example was I had to scurry through all kinds of music mags. In those I found out that Brian May Used his Guild Signature models as back up guitars on their (then current) "Kind of magic" tour. But the pictures of those never remotely resembled that illusive Yellow one. Then I finally got my curious hands on a copy of a guitarmag (Can't remember which one) in which May spoke of a John Birch made backup guitar for his red special, finished in translucent yellow: the "Yellow Special" was identified.

The Birch guitar differs from the Red Special by having a Maple neck with an ebony board with fingerboard bindings and having Maple body giving it a destinctly different sound from the Red Special.

Wanting to find out why he never played that second one anymore I dug deeper until I found another mag in which May stated that after a very rocking show, he tossed the Birch guitar up in the air and watched it shatter as it hit the ground. He then shipped the remains of the guitar to then upcoming luthier John Page (yes THAT one) for repairs and hadn't seen it since.

Imagine my surprise when I came up with the idea for this post that when trying to find pictures of the "Yellow Special" I stumbled across this.

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/letters/letterspix/birchguitar_a.jpg
John Page still had the remains of that guitar and decided after nearly twenty years of having no time to repair it (Starting up and running the Fender Custom shop is a time consuming job) decided to get in contact with May and send it back to him.

On Brian May's official site, his reaction was one of Joy to see "his old friend" again. I sure hope he will have it repaired though, it's sad to see a guitar like that in such a sorry state.

DarknessAwaits
28 april 2006, 10:58
Leuk verhaaltje, altijd interessant zulke dingen!

Noid
28 april 2006, 12:26
Leuk stuk, bedankt! Ik had echt zoiets van oh ja, in de "We will rock you" video en ook in de "Spread your wings" video gebruikt hij dat ding (Deacon speelt dan geloof ik ook op een blonde bas, wat een leuk beeld geeft in die clips):
http://www.queen.refresh.ro/images/members_brian.jpg
Zeker triest om dat ding in zo'n staat te zien. Aardig van die John Page dat hij hem nu in ieder geval terugstuurt naar May, maar ... dat had ie moeten doen nadat hij hem gerepareerd had natuurlijk. Slappe hap: 20 jaar die gitaar in reparatie hebben en hem dan ongerepareerd weer terugsturen. Maar ja, May zal hem waarschijnlijk ook niet zo erg gemist hebben.

Robbert
28 april 2006, 16:44
Wat ik niet snap is waarom May dat ding de lucht ingooide om vervolgens de gitaar kapot te zien vallen. Blijkbaar was het zulke troep, dat het de moeite niet waard is te repareren.

Wouter J
28 april 2006, 18:08
Wat ik niet snap is waarom May dat ding de lucht ingooide om vervolgens de gitaar kapot te zien vallen. Blijkbaar was het zulke troep, dat het de moeite niet waard is te repareren.

Kennelijk was de cocaïne die avond heel goed.

Probe-guy
28 april 2006, 18:49
als een grote queen fan, moet ik even reageren
Brian heeft dit ook op zijn eigen site gezegd

hij was bezig met een optreden, en de gitaar deed niet wat hij wilde dat het deed, en toen in een "burst of anger" heeft hij de gitaar van het podium afgegooid en doorgespeeld met zn "red-special"

Probe-guy
28 april 2006, 18:56
een quote van brian

uit het blad, Guitarist van Maart 2000

"[The John Birch] was the first copy I ever had made of this thing and it was always just a little lacking on tone. I think that was partly because the tremolo was a very lighweight affair and also the neck didn't have that sustain. I had a particularly frustrating night - I think in Chicago sometime - and I'd broken a couple of strings on my guitar, so I picked up the John Birch and it just wouldn't happen. So, in a rare fit of pique I lobbed it over the back of the stage somewhere and nobody caught it. "

Probe-guy
28 april 2006, 19:01
een verhaal van iemand uit het publiek van de desbetreffende show:

John Birch Guitar "The Real Story"

Well as best as I can remember, as it was 22 years ago, it was August 9, 1982 at the Continental Arena (Then it was called the Brendan Byrne Arena). I still have the ticket stub. It was the Hot Space Tour and Billy Squire was the warm up act. Queen played a great show, but when Brian started his Brighton Rock solo he broke a string on "The Old Lady" and you could tell he was not happy. He actually threw that guitar at the stand and it fell over and me and my fellow RS/Brian/Queen fanatic buddy looked at each other in astonishment. He quickly was given the John Birch copy by his guitar tech and continued his solo. Well about two minutes go by and you could tell he was not happy with the Birch and then a string breaks on that guitar. He was on Deacons side of the stage and he runs over to his side towards his wall of Vox amps and hurls the guitar over the stack. His guitar tech brings out the Gibson Flying V and Brian finishes the solo. At the end of the solo the tech brings back "The Old Lady" restrung as Queen kicks back in. I believe at this point Brian was doing the solo in the middle of Now I'm Here. Some time between one of the next songs the Tech emerges from behind the stack to show Brian and the entire audience the result of Brians outrage as he holds up the two pieces of The John Birch. My friend and I looked at each other and knew we had just seen a bit of Queen history. From what I remember it was a case of the neck snapping off from the body. I remember a few months ago somehow the John Birch had turned up and Brian was curious about where and when it happened. If anyone knows a way I can get this story to him let me know. I will scan my ticket stubs from all the Queen shows I've been to and post them in the near future.

Happy New Year.

Wouter J
28 april 2006, 19:33
Van wat ik begrepen heb zal de "Yellow special" door Greg Fryer weer in ere worden hersteld. Niet dat Brian de gitaar weer actief gaat gebruken maar als ik zo van zijn reactie van "the old friend is back home" afga is het meer om de sentimentele waarde.

no 1 hops
30 april 2006, 07:16
en op ebay de staat een copie met witte slagplaat te koop met garantie.
maar niet voor mollest denk ik ;-)