PDA

View Full Version : [Gachne, Conti & Bosch] Idylls_From_Messina.mp3

Bosch
5 augustus 2005, 17:45
Hi Guys,

(FF in het Engels)

A jazzy joint venture regarding Conrad Gachne (from the Jaco Pastorius Forum) and Wouter Bosch (Gitaarnet.nl/forum) is a fact!

Download:

[Idylls_From_Messina.mp3] (http://home.hetnet.nl/~boschracing/Idylls_From_Messina.mp3)

Bass: Conrad Gachne
Drums: Neil Conti
Guitar: Wouter Bosch

About the Bass:
I guess for anyone who may ever hear it:

My bass line comprises three very simple motifs all laying together.

The first, loud part is the basic bass groove. Just a D minor groove, going up to a F Dorian at one point.

Layed on top of that is a bass playing 16th notes on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd degrees of each of those chords. I flanged the heck out of it and drowned it in reverb. May not be too audible without headphones depending on where the flange is at that point.

The third bass is droning bass notes, a D and an F. Originally it was the same pitch as the main motif, but I shifted everything down an octave. I then sucked the mids out using an amp simulator, and turned the bass way up. If you boost the EQ on your computer, it will almost certainly distort your speakers! Its basically that annoying hip-hop undefined bass. It adds a bit of meat to the sound though.

The only bass was my Reverend Rumblefish. Basically a really nice Jazz with a hollow body. I loaded the track into Cakewalk, and added the three parts. All EQing, effects, etc. was done with the built-in stuff in Cakewalk. I thought about doubling the tempo of the drum part but it kept playing a really strange drum fill and I couldn't figure out where to come in. It sounded strange too, as it was missing about 1/16th of a measure in a different section of the loop every measure. … Conrad

About the guitar:
I played trying influences by John Scofield and Scott Henderson. Accustomed to playing shred I found it hard not to put in shredlicks. Something is missing. Fortunately, sometimes the bass/drum/guitar fit time well together. Sometimes I feel sorry cause I didn’t add much to the nice spherish bass line. … Bosch

About the gear:
Conrad used his Reverend Rumblefish. Basically a really nice Jazz with a hollow body. All EQing, effects, etc. was done with the built-in stuff in Cakewalk.

Bosch used his Charvel750Xl and PodXT.

Dude
7 augustus 2005, 11:29
vette shit man !! niet helemaal mijn ding maar muzikaal erg netjes en strak

Bruce
7 augustus 2005, 12:22
Lekker hoor!!!
Heel apart.
Hier wil ik meer van horen!

Roy K.
7 augustus 2005, 16:32
Vet!

Wel jammer dat de bass zo zacht staat, de gitaar en drum zijn ten opzichte van elkaar wel perfect (zou je de bas nu nog harder kunnen laten klinken? ben wel benieuwd hoe het dan klinkt, samenspel/harmonieën met de bas kan ik nu niet horen wat ook aan mijn boxen kan liggen).

Henderson invloeden hoor ik af en toe wel sterk terug, Scofield minder, nou ja, hij speelt vaak mega-wringend en daar heb jij ook een handje van dus wat dat betreft... :wink:

Al met al heeft het een coole jazztrack opgeleverd! 8)

Sonno
7 augustus 2005, 18:15
Hey,

dit klinkt een stuk lekkerder! Ik denk omdat je hier ook wat anders probeert over te brengen dan bij dat vorige Frog nr. (Tja, dat gevoel heb ik... vraag er verder maar niet naar hoe en wat...)

Maak je ook wel is iets met een zanger d'r bij? Ik schuif elke Donderdag een jazz programma op Radio West met Michael Varekamp, dan hoor ik wel is vergelijkbaar werk voorbijkomen maar ook gecombineerd met bijpassende zanglijnen. Kan best leuk klinken!

Gr. Sonno

LaurentB
7 augustus 2005, 23:40
Ja, apart gedaan! Het lijkt wel Scott Henderson die op een groove van John Scofield speelt.

Mooi direct geluid op de gitaar, knappe, inventieve melodieën en harmonieën.

Laurent

Hi Guys,

(FF in het Engels)

A jazzy joint venture regarding Conrad Gachne (from the Jaco Pastorius Forum) and Wouter Bosch (Gitaarnet.nl/forum) is a fact!

Download:

[Idylls_From_Messina.mp3] (http://home.hetnet.nl/~boschracing/Idylls_From_Messina.mp3)

Bass: Conrad Gachne
Drums: Neil Conti
Guitar: Wouter Bosch

About the Bass:
I guess for anyone who may ever hear it:

My bass line comprises three very simple motifs all laying together.

The first, loud part is the basic bass groove. Just a D minor groove, going up to a F Dorian at one point.

Layed on top of that is a bass playing 16th notes on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd degrees of each of those chords. I flanged the heck out of it and drowned it in reverb. May not be too audible without headphones depending on where the flange is at that point.

The third bass is droning bass notes, a D and an F. Originally it was the same pitch as the main motif, but I shifted everything down an octave. I then sucked the mids out using an amp simulator, and turned the bass way up. If you boost the EQ on your computer, it will almost certainly distort your speakers! Its basically that annoying hip-hop undefined bass. It adds a bit of meat to the sound though.

The only bass was my Reverend Rumblefish. Basically a really nice Jazz with a hollow body. I loaded the track into Cakewalk, and added the three parts. All EQing, effects, etc. was done with the built-in stuff in Cakewalk. I thought about doubling the tempo of the drum part but it kept playing a really strange drum fill and I couldn't figure out where to come in. It sounded strange too, as it was missing about 1/16th of a measure in a different section of the loop every measure. … Conrad

About the guitar:
I played trying influences by John Scofield and Scott Henderson. Accustomed to playing shred I found it hard not to put in shredlicks. Something is missing. Fortunately, sometimes the bass/drum/guitar fit time well together. Sometimes I feel sorry cause I didn’t add much to the nice spherish bass line. … Bosch

About the gear:
Conrad used his Reverend Rumblefish. Basically a really nice Jazz with a hollow body. All EQing, effects, etc. was done with the built-in stuff in Cakewalk.

Bosch used his Charvel750Xl and PodXT.