PDA

View Full Version : Bruzzel CasanoverdriveŽ

PacoCasanovas
24 januari 2005, 13:06
:-D

Hello Forum!

2 weeks ago, i finished the prototype of my firstt custom-made stomp-box....in sept 04, when i start posting in this board b/c of a very special tube-sound design :D i grew up with an idea for a solidstate overdrive-machine....now, here is the prototype!

NO DIODE-CLIPPING, OP-AMP OR CMOS-Technology was used! The circuit is inspired by old tube-amp-technology and drawn, designed & made by myself!.

http://www.pacocasanovas.ch/BruzzelMK1.jpg

this is just the prototype....the "real" one will have a red finish with black or gold knobs and a gold print on it! Graphic-design made by Ruezzz (also member of this board!)
Currently i'm working on "debugging" the circuit-design...changing filter caps...and working on the input-buffer amp...

Knobs are: Gain, Light (Bite), Punch (Bottom), Volume

Sound-example (quickly recorded direct into the Boss OC-3 Octaver, used as a speaker-emulator...one of my tricks! No EQ, no edits....just increasing the gain from fat chrunch into blast-away-gain! :wink:

www.pacocasanovas.ch/bruzzel.mp3

ok...last week i made a test together with Marshall JH1 Jackhammer Pedal, Ibanez Tubescreamer TS808, BadCat Xtreme tone, Boss Overdrive OD3......it was very impressive....indeed! :-D

all the best & groeten from snowy switzerland!

paco

Dirk_Hendrik
24 januari 2005, 14:42
Cool and nice to see you back here.

Congrats with the OD. I hope the inside looks better that the outside :wink: Do you perhaps want to share some more than that it is a non diodeclipping/opamp/cmos design? Taken that into account you can build a fuzzface clone and make those claims. I hope you made something better. Maybe an inside pic??

By the way, thanks for not using those white plastic washers which usually come with the footswitch and seem to be more or less accepted as part of the "boutique" look. :wink:

Negative K3 fan
24 januari 2005, 15:00
SCHEMATIC!!!

sounds promising, a little fizzy though

Robbert
24 januari 2005, 15:25
I like the sample! 8-)

PacoCasanovas
24 januari 2005, 16:46
sorry for not posting any schematics....its my baby :wink: ....its not a clone project, not a clone DIY-thing........hope you'll understand!

of corse you can have a look inside!

http://www.pacocasanovas.ch/PASD/bruzzel.jpg

@ dirk hendrik: Veroboard-design :-D ...

the footswitch is not connected on this pict....this shot was taken when i was finish soldering the unit.... :wink:

technology is inspired by old tube amps....early marshall amps....other filter caps and various resistors used (the same way i mod those amps...make 'em hotter without any add tube or diode-clipping-thing...)
for bruzzel i used J-Fet Transistors with near the same specifications as a tube-gain-stage....i had to match 'em to get near the same values for each transistor....
I'm not saying i'm the first one using JFET-transistors as replacement for a preamp-tube.....its an old technology used by many others (such as Dirk Baldringer, T-Rex, Peavey)...Bruzzel is a selfmade tube-design-overdrive-circuit with a passive 2band tone-stack using JFET Transistors

i have now a bit more than 20 players wanna have a Bruzzel.....fixing a few things in the circuit and then i'm able to build my orders... :cool:

groeten

paco

Dirk_Hendrik
24 januari 2005, 16:56
Paco,

Don't need the schematics. Your build is somewhat similar to the effect I built last weekend:
http://www.freedomfoods.com.au/spagetti.jpg

Pretty high on Peperoni!

As for the explanation. Thanks. Seems to me like something in this style:
http://geocities.com/electrictabs/dr.boogey.png[/url]

PacoCasanovas
24 januari 2005, 17:24
as i said...i was not the first one who had this idea using JFETs....pretty close with your toughts.... :wink:

but you speak in trivia? .....

Your build is somewhat similar to the effect I built last weekend

you make spagetti? All by your own?....wow, pretty impressive :o :D
I never tought it would works with peperoni! Don't need the schematic either!

:razz:

PacoCasanovas
24 januari 2005, 18:23
I had the idea of working with JFETs after repairing a Peavey XXL Amp (using JFETs for the Overdrive-Circuit)...i was impressed by the sound...so i begun to work on my own circuit....based on my knowledge about my mods on old marshall amps!

so...i'm asking myself....is there any chanche to get a copyright for my circuit?
I have everything...all math-stuff about the RC-filter i drawn, various material and formulas i'm working on to debugging the circuit now.....it sounds fine, but i'm not 100% happy with it.......theory is not always the same as the real-feel, not when you working with another technology.....

i first planed to make Bruzzel with real tubes (just to show what i understand about a real tube overdrive circuit! @ dirk hendrik: you may remember why! :wink: )...but after my experience with this peavey amp i was sure i can do a similar thing with JFETs too....less expensive....so i build one!

btw: tought about your spagetti-thing...too many "???"s
:lol:

birt
24 januari 2005, 18:47
there is a lot about Jfet amp emulators and overdrives on www.runoffgroove.com ;)

PacoCasanovas
24 januari 2005, 19:16
there is a lot about Jfet amp emulators and overdrives on www.runoffgroove.com ;)

i know runoffgroove....a friend gave me the link to their site last year after i told him i working on the Bruzzel JEFT-Overdrive-Circuit!
Its near the same principe...they build amps-simulations with JFETs, i build my own tube-overdrive-circuit with JFETs....but we're not related!

they have great stuff on their site...but i'm not gonna build one of those projects.....i wanna make my own based on my own ideas!

:wink: