PDA

View Full Version : Het verhaal van mijn telecaster

Wouter J
20 december 2004, 15:33
In het Engels omdat ik het ook op andere forums wil zetten.

Nicknamed "The floor decoration" by my boss and the "Breadplank" by almost everybody else, my 1998 Tele started life as a normal Squier Affinity tele. Similar to the one pictured, only mine has a rosewood fingerboard.

http://www.squierguitars.com/repository/squier/images/0310202506_product.jpg

A black and white model selected as "winner" from a line up of Squier tele's that I tried out in a shop. It was the standard late ninties model which differs from the current affinity line by having a thicker body and through body stringing.

First modification: New Tuners
The squier affinity range at the time has very crummy tuners, so as soon as I got it home they were pulled off and replaced by black plated Gotoh cast sealed tuners, a decision that proved a right one.

Second modification: Replaced the neck single coil with a Dimarzio red velvet Strat pickup.
To clarify this: I chose this tele because of how it felt, not on how it sounded. Replacing the neck pickup required some routing. But the sounds I got from it were telling me that I was on the right track.

Third modification: Replace the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan 59 mini humbucker for teles
I was at this guitarfair where a duncan stand was selling pickups and went through them and came across the "little 59 for teles" and I went "H'mm I wonder if this is something cool." It was the beginning of an ongoing love affair with the Duncan Little 59.

Fourth Modification: Neck humbucker
The little 59 worked wonders in the bridge spot of my tele but it sucked all the power out of the Dimarzio at the neck. I needed to even it out, so I grabbed the router and installed a gold plated humbucker pulled from an Epiphone Les Paul I owned at the time later replaced by a Dimarzio PAF classic.

Fifth modification: STRIP IT!
A practical joke of my friends on my expense got me falling over and a big chip of black paint came off the guitar as it broke my fall. So with a bruised and battered Tele I entered my boss's workshop with the idea of making my black Jean rise like a Fenix. I took her apart, got out the belt sander and stripped the body bare, I ten took the body over the table leveller (a BIG machine meant to level the thickness of a table board, but we're using it to level planks of which we'll use to make bodies from.) and shaved off a couple off Millimeters off the top for what I had in mind. I had seen a picture of Skunk Baxter playing a tele with a body made contrasting dark and light wood and had kept that image in mind. So I began to inlay the top of my tele with thin striped of flamed maple and dark spotted platanus, after doing so I finished the guitar in a matte clear coat and assembled her again.

and that's the way she survives today.
http://www.thomaskinkadechico.com/blazer.jpg

http://alembic.com/club/messages/396/7158.jpg

Does anybody have that picture of Skunk baxter with that striped tele? I can't find it anymore.