PDA

View Full Version : Fender Roc Pro - Tu be or not tu be ;)

ruezzz
4 september 2004, 08:10
Kijk es ff wat die buis in de voorversterker doet:

www.pacocasanovas.ch/rocpro1000.mov

hoezo fake...

en nog een:

www.pacocasanovas.ch/rocpro1000-2.mov

(filmpjes zijn van een objectieve zwitserse Ampdokter)

Ik vraag me af: zit die buis er nu echt voor de show in, of wordt-ie alleen bij een bepaald kanaal toch gebruikt?

birt
4 september 2004, 09:08
hihi :D

Harry
4 september 2004, 11:10
natuurlijk doet die buis iets, hij ging duidelijk slechter spelen toen die er uit was.

ruezzz
4 september 2004, 11:23
Aha, telepatische buizenvervorming!!!
We worden onbewust geïndoctrineerd!

Laat ons allen in opstand komen!
Ik zeg: REVOLUTIE!

AART
4 september 2004, 12:33
LOL, heb ik vroeger ooit nog naar gekeken maar uiteindelijk afgevallen, gelukkig :o

Dirk_Hendrik
4 september 2004, 16:43
Zoiets vraagt om een verklaring. Een buis is te duur om ongebruikt in een versterker te stoppen. Dus:
http://www.mrgearhead.com/faq/schematics/fender/Roc%20Pro%201000%20Schematic%20B12.pdf

Studie studie:

Het buiscircuit is hetzelfde als dat in een performer 1000. De buis in dit circuit is niet geschakeld als een versterker. De 2 buishelften zijn aangesloten als diodes en staan antiparallel. In deze funktie werken ze niet als distortion genererende trap maar als "filter met buiskarakteistiek" voor het signaal wat in de versterkertrap daarvoor al tot vervorming is gebracht. Bij een betere geluidskwaliteit in het filmpje zou je dat ook horen. Verder is de werking van het 'buisfilter"circuit sterk afhankelijk van de pre-amp drive. Op het moment dat die laag staat en je power amp lekker open ga je dus voornamelijk ongefilterde scheur horen.

In het patent dat Fender op dit circuit heeft wordt er ook helemaal niet op ovverdrive effecten ingegaan maar op wat het geheel wel doet. filteren en tot op zekere hoogte comprimeren.

Samengevat, een lekker smaakmakend filmpje van een zwitserse ampguru die misschien onafhankelijk mag zijn maar mijn inziens eerst maar eens naar school moet. Het enige wat hij hier doet is zichzelf vreselijk voor lul zetten. Zeker omdat het me nog geen minuut kostte om uit te vinden waar de kneep zit. Dat had hij ook moeten doen.

Dirk_Hendrik
4 september 2004, 16:56
kijken of we het een vervolgje kunnen geven. Dit is zonet richting Zwitserland gegaan:

hello Paco,

Two movies on you site, concerning the function of the tube in a Fender Roc Pro, were brought to my attention. In these movies one gets the suggestion that the tube doesn't have a function. As a fellow electronics engineer I would like to make some remarks since I'm in the opinion you've drawn some wrong conclusions.

Doing a search for the schematic gave me this link:
http://www.mrgearhead.com/faq/schematics/fender/Roc%20Pro%201000%20Schematic%20B12.pdf

Please be so kind to study this schematic and find out that the real function of the tube (connected as 2 antiparallel diodes) is to compress and filter a signal which was distorted in the previous (gain) stage. Also I would suggest to study the Fender patents on www.uspto.gov and find out that what I describe above is exactly what they have patented.

best regards

Met een beetje mazzel; wordt vervolgd...... :D

Diedo
4 september 2004, 17:53
geinige actie! ik ben benieuwd naar zn reactie :)

en nu ben ik eigenlijk ook benieuwd naar de werking van de buis is de marshall valvestates... zelfde verhaal of werken die wel "echt" (voor de scheur dus..)

amon
4 september 2004, 17:55
damn, ik ga je niet proberen tegen te spreken aan de hand van die schema's....
:-? :???: :lol:

Dirk_Hendrik
4 september 2004, 18:13
geinige actie! ik ben benieuwd naar zn reactie :)

en nu ben ik eigenlijk ook benieuwd naar de werking van de buis is de marshall valvestates... zelfde verhaal of werken die wel "echt" (voor de scheur dus..)

Die vrag kwam hier een paar maanden geleden (een soort van) voorbij. Ik heb toen even een VS schema bekeken en dat zag er "echt" uit.

Wat is echt? Dit trucje van fender komt van omstreeks 1994. Kan men me een andere unieke buizenuitvinding vertellen die jonger is dan dat? Ik vind het persoonlijk een nogal knappe vinding van de Fender guys.

Dirk_Hendrik
4 september 2004, 20:30
Antwoord. Prima gozer:
:D

D_H:
Hi Paco, That's a quick response!!! Thanks!

I've added some remarks in your text

Paco:
Hi Dirk_Hendrik

the tube is actually a dual diode clipper circuit...thats what i think when
i saw it first four years ago....i'm working as a service repair technician
in two music-stores, saw a lot of tube distortion circuits and
"try-to-be"-tube distortion circuits....

D_H:
Actually it is.

Paco:
yes, its true, the tube has a function and with my two movies it looks like
as a full fake-tube-circuit!
but its not a tube distortion circuit....

D_H:
Indeed it's not, and never claimed to be by the Fender development engineers. (Mr. Scott to be exactly)(And to get this straight before bending, Im in 'no way related to Fender ;-)) The fact that it is called like this on the front is more likely developed by the marketing guys. One can only wonder about that. However, in the end the circuit does filte and compress in a "tubey"way.

The main thing for me to write my initial mail to you, (beiing referenced as an independent Amp guru from Swiss), is that although I expected the source of the movies to know what's going on, the way these movies came to me on a local discussion form. There the suggestion was that this tube was in there for fake raesons only. A lot can be said of Fender for the good or the bad but when rumours like it was suggested get into the world it's hard to get them out again. I doný think anybody deserves that.

Paco:
i also figured out, that the two gain modes changing the cathode-voltage /
Plate voltage to control to change the electron flow (Plate current)....and
changing the diode effect..a varyable diode clipper...well thats very cool,
but its not a real tube circuit! And it never would be a real one...thats my
opinion! ;-)
...and it don't answer my question why a brand like Fender Musical
Instruments write "tube drive" on their frontpanel...;-))

D_H:
Indeed opinion although I agree on the "drive"part. It's not a tube overdrive as in the tube amplifying stage. However it's a circuit utilizing a tube which does (in my opinion ofcourse) make it a tube overdrive stage. Or maybe better, a tube enhanced overdrive. I've attached the schematic of an Ibanez Tubeking for the fun of it. This fellow does have a tube amplifier stage as we know it. Now, take a look at the extreme gain levels before the signal enters the tube and wonder; Is the main function of that tube to distort, or to filter the pre-distorted signal to a tube characteristic.

Paco:
i didn't find the patent number of that circuit, you may send me the
link....

D_H:
Gimme till monday. I'll look up the patent number and give some instructions on the viewer plugin needed. Don't have the urge to start downloading right now.

Paco:
i would remove the two movies on my website, and also put your statement
into the one forum (www.logicuser.de) where i posted the thread originaly!

D_H:
Please go ahead!

Paco:
well....most of the hybrid-tube stages aren't real tube stages...well most
of them are in the signal-path, some of them useing low voltage circuits
(with no cathode resistor...) and pre tube distortion circuits...thats ok,
some of them sound pretty well,
For example....H&K Tubeman, Fender Cybertwin, Marshall Valvestate, marshall
JCM900 the early series....!!, Vox cambridge series....just to name a
few....but that is not real tube distortion....

D_H:
Can't tell for most but I'm pretty confident that the valvestates do have a real amp stage (that is, the valvestates that do have an actual tube, not the small ones)

D_H:
Enjoyed. Later,

Paco:
all the best & greetz
Paco Casanovas

Mitch
4 september 2004, 20:51
Geen filmpjes meer inderdaad ! Lachen, dit soort dingen :)

birt
4 september 2004, 23:27
die man heeft een coole achternaam :D

ruezzz
5 september 2004, 11:40
Inderdaad een geinige thread zo.

Ik correspondeer al enige tijd via www.logicuser.de met o.a. Paco Casanovas, een eigenzinnige persoon met veel know-how (misschien dit keer iets te veel gespeculeerd).
Die beste man speelt overigens ook een leuk potje jazzrock...
(al haal je dat niet direct uit de bewuste filmpjes)
http://www.pacocasanovas.ch/

Hij had destijds de filmpjes op logicuser gepost en het leek me een leuk item om hier es wat mee aan te zwengelen.
Uitkomst: we hebben er weer wat van opgestoken - en daar doen we het voor...

Speeddemon
5 september 2004, 13:49
Hey Barend, je vroeg je af of iemand een nieuwer systeem wist waarin de buis op een nieuwe manier wordt toegepast...

Wat dacht je van de Vox Tonelab (SE)? Waarin de 12AX7 puur wordt gebruikt om de POWERAMP sectie te 'modellen'?

PacoCasanovas
5 september 2004, 14:24
hi everybody! 8)

i managed to get an account in here...hehe, sorry i'm actually speakin' in english...my dutch is sooooo bad.... :razz:

ok!

there are two sorts of hybrid tube-distortion preamps....

one sort with a solid state non distortion pre-gain-stage...puts an extreme signal at the tube input...the tube produce the overdrive-sound

Link: -> http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/tom/files/tubedist.gif

the other sort is a pre distortion gain stage....the tube just add some tube characteristics and filter.....thats what most hybrid amps doing....

-> for example the marshall JCM900 Series or the Valvestate Serie

http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/jmp51c.gif (JCM900)
http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/8040.gif (ValveState 8040)

the roc pro circuit is not a tube drive circuit.....its more a tube dynamic circuit... its very very hard to hear the difference in the sound......it would make more scense to put a tube behind the master-volume-circuit, just to have the feel of the reactance of a tube-power-amp....(thats what vox does with the new valvetronix amplifiers....or SWR does a couple of years ago with a bass-amp...i couldn't remember the name....)

anyway....its still a very cool thread! :-D ...perfect title!

i'm using a Peavey Classic 50/212BT guitar-amp.....great high gain real tube sound....if anybody would have a look into the schematics.....go ahead! No diode clipping stuff at all
http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/tom/files/50.zip

if anybody is wondering how the real tube saturation effect is working....i can post some files in here!
:wink:

all the best & many greetz.....looks like a very cool forum!

Paco

Speeddemon
5 september 2004, 14:53
Welcome Paco! Cool to have you here.

But dude, with your last name... skip the engineering and go hit on some ladies! :wink:

amon
5 september 2004, 15:20
hehe... :-D

that walt disney parrot, doesnt it has the same name?

carlos casanovas?

(i dont know for sure, hate that strips, i prefer donald duck etc.)

PacoCasanovas
5 september 2004, 15:42
its my real name! :-D

no kidding!

and if you believe or not....i have no girlfriend.....never had one! :-(

greeetz
Paco

Speeddemon
5 september 2004, 16:36
and if you believe or not....i have no girlfriend.....never had one! :-(

greeetz
Paco

www.realdolls.com

Knock yo'self out! :seriousf:

(oh and try to use opening lines like "Mi es Casanovas! Tu es Buenissima!" )

Dirk_Hendrik
5 september 2004, 18:15
Hey Barend, je vroeg je af of iemand een nieuwer systeem wist waarin de buis op een nieuwe manier wordt toegepast...

Wat dacht je van de Vox Tonelab (SE)? Waarin de 12AX7 puur wordt gebruikt om de POWERAMP sectie te 'modellen'?

ja prima. Wat ik meer bedoelde is hoe de buis voor z'n doel geschakeld werd.

@ Paco.
Hi, good to see you here :wink: . I owe you a reply but spent my time in the stiudio today. Therefore; later,

D_H

amon
5 september 2004, 18:15
or say something lovely in dutch, like:

hallo, stomme trut, ga je me nog een biertje aanbieden?

speak:

halloo, stommu trut, ga ju mu nog un biertju aanbiedun

(damn all the e's are u's now....)

Dirk_Hendrik
5 september 2004, 20:10
Eeeh, Amon,

The guy is from Swiss. Better write it in phonetic retro roman......

amon
5 september 2004, 20:21
wtf? :-D

PacoCasanovas
5 september 2004, 21:55
http://www.cambrinus.nl/ :-D

.....thank you very much :wink: ....i knew, its a cool forum!

birt
5 september 2004, 23:03
http://www.cambrinus.nl/ :-D

.....thank you very much :wink: ....i knew, its a cool forum!

DUTCH BEER?
you need belgian beer my friend :wink:
the dutch are good in all kinds of things, but when it comes to beer they aren't that skilled.

Dirk_Hendrik
6 september 2004, 09:10
the dutch are good in all kinds of things, but when it comes to beer they aren't that skilled.

+1

May I suggest:
http://www.sintsixtus.be/nl/index2.html

amon
6 september 2004, 09:27
paco, can you read dutch?
in other topics is saw you responsing between all the dutch replays....

PacoCasanovas
6 september 2004, 09:48
not really....i'll try my best to survive in here!

near 5 years ago, i played with a US-Bluesrockband....i had no idea how to speak in english, no writing skills etc......i learned in about 3 weeks on tour! :lol: ...and within the years i'm gettin' better on it.....i never learn it the right way, no english-school 8-)

and someday i guess it would make a bit "click" in my head! :-D ...and i know how to write...i know, its not that easy :oops: :razz:

could we change the "onderwerp" of that "topic" into "to beer or not tu-be"? LOL

all the best & thanks for the warm welcome!

Paco