PDA

View Full Version : for anyone who's ever thought about building their own pedal

bigtonemusicbrewery
20 juni 2004, 05:42
I've put together a "build your own clone" fuzz face project. If people seem to be interested in this, I'll add other popular projects with the same easy to follow, "solder by numbers" type directions. I think my kits differ from others for a number of reasons. Check it out and I think you'll see why. Here's one example: The easy to understand circuit board layout sticker.

http://bigtonemusic.com/images/PTP1.jpg

The home page for the subdirectory is www.bigtonmusic.com/CloneMainPage.html (http://www.bigtonemusic.com/CloneMainPage.html) but there is also a link from my main site.

The price is $65usd + shipping but it's $70 shipped for forum members who help me out with any typo's or let me know about things that were not clear in the instructions.

If you are interested please EMAIL EMAIL EMAIL!!! no pm's please

Mitch
20 juni 2004, 12:09
Very nice idea ! Does that creative mind of you ever stop :o
You could have called this : "DIY stompbox-first aid-kit"

:D

bigtonemusicbrewery
20 juni 2004, 17:25
You could have called this : "DIY stompbox-first aid-kit"

No...that's what I'll call it when I have to spend all day helping the people who didn't do it correctly.

Lucky
20 juni 2004, 17:46
cool!

I just ordered a fuzzface and an orange squeezer.

boy oh boy, I just can't with burning my fingers on that red hot soldering iron.
finally !!!! scars !!!!!!
Happy happy joy joy

:)

bigtonemusicbrewery
20 juni 2004, 18:34
cool!

I just ordered a fuzzface and an orange squeezer.

boy oh boy, I just can't with burning my fingers on that red hot soldering iron.
finally !!!! scars !!!!!!
Happy happy joy joy

Sorry Luca,

The OS kit isn't ready yet. Nor are any of the other kits I have planned. Only the FF is available now. I need to update my site and make that more clear.

People are very curious about the OS kit though, so I think I'll work on that next.

Keith

birt
20 juni 2004, 23:04
ehm, what kind of effect is an orange squeezer? :-?

IndiepoprockJesse
20 juni 2004, 23:06

it makes a puny amp of your orange... :-D

Lucky
20 juni 2004, 23:29
http://www.tonefrenzy.com/2/images/gear/danarmstrong_orange_sqeezer2%20copy.JPG

It's quite a legendary compressor. listen to early Steeley Dan recordings for some nice examples. I think Denny Diaz and Skunk Baxter never unplugged theirs during the seventies.
Tonefrenzy has a soundclip of the original unit aswell.

It's one of the main flavours in guitar compression.

Lucky
20 juni 2004, 23:32
Sorry Luca,

The OS kit isn't ready yet. Nor are any of the other kits I have planned. Only the FF is available now. I need to update my site and make that more clear.

People are very curious about the OS kit though, so I think I'll work on that next.

Keith

No worries Keith.

I'll paypal that fuzzface money to you tomorrow morning.

Keep us posted on the other kits. I enloy my barber what what would be better than playing "your own" comp

bigtonemusicbrewery
20 juni 2004, 23:33

It's a compressor. The original version had no knobs or bypass...just in and out jacks. People like it because it's definitely an FX and not a subtle accessory like most compressors. It's very squishy and adds a lot of gain. The kit will have a foot switch and a volume knob.

bigtonemusicbrewery
20 juni 2004, 23:35
http://www.tonefrenzy.com/2/images/gear/danarmstrong_orange_sqeezer2%20copy.JPG

It's quite a legendary compressor. listen to early Steeley Dan recordings for some nice examples. I think Denny Diaz and Skunk Baxter never unplugged theirs during the seventies.
Tonefrenzy has a soundclip of the original unit aswell.

It's one of the main flavours in guitar compression.

you can post 2 replies faster than I can post just 1

Lucky
20 juni 2004, 23:38
yeah!

but i'm half Dutch and half Italian you see...
that kinda gives you that extra.......je ne sais quoi

sash
20 juni 2004, 23:44
http://www.david.pye.com/images/kudos/deniro1.jpg

Fogeddaboudit...

Lucky
21 juni 2004, 00:13

but wasn't that with Hugh Grant... and whathisface?

De Niro is ok!
but they all got it from this guy:

http://fii.chadwyck.com/images/home/brando.jpg

That American Italian actor thing, that is

sash
21 juni 2004, 00:29
Yeah, Marlon Brando! He rules!

Speeddemon
21 juni 2004, 01:49
so uh Keith, did you make Lucky an offer he couldn't refuse?

Or will you sleep with tha fishes?
:wink:

Lucky
21 juni 2004, 02:41
right!
The godfather...sleeping with the fishes...that was Luca Brazi...

I love that "it's either your signature or your brain on this contract" line...

dejohan
21 juni 2004, 02:45
@Bigtonemusicbrewery

Do you ship from Holland or from the US? Because I live in Belgium, so from Holland would be not that expensive.

bigtonemusicbrewery
21 juni 2004, 10:55
so uh Keith, did you make Lucky an offer he couldn't refuse?

Or will you sleep with tha fishes?
:wink:

No. But someday...and that day may never come...I may call upon Luca for a favor.

bigtonemusicbrewery
21 juni 2004, 10:58
@Bigtonemusicbrewery

Do you ship from Holland or from the US? Because I live in Belgium, so from Holland would be not that expensive.

From the US.

Has the cost of shipping gone up for you guys too? I guess it's because of fuel prices, but shipping has gone up a lot here. Used to be 11usd to ship 4lbs to Europe, now it's like 16usd.

birt
21 juni 2004, 11:40
hey keith i don't want to get in your way with those nice kits but i was wondering if you could give me the schematic of that compressor with the switch and volumeknob (and who knows what other extra options :) ) becaus i like the fun of searching for the right components and trying to make everything without a manual. (and ofcourse bugging you with every problem i get :D )

Antal
21 juni 2004, 12:09
Hij staat gewoon bij generalguitargadgets hoor. Koste me 2 seconde googlen om deze te vinden:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/orangesqueezer_sc.gif

The Thumb
21 juni 2004, 12:14
"Permission denied for posting/serving this information from any site other than Guitar Effects Projects"

way to go Antal :-D

sash
21 juni 2004, 12:35
Keith,

I already told you this on the Six String Soul forum, but I might as well post it here too. :) I really love the idea of those kits and I'd like to have a Fuzz Face kit with BC109C's. I'll order one as soon as I get back from vacation.

Btw, would a TS808 kit, perhaps with some other resistors to reduce bass and treble cut, be a good idea? I think a lot of people (including me) still want a TS808, but don't want to spend $160,- on a Keeley TS9/808 that isn't even true bypass.

Sash

Antal
21 juni 2004, 17:43
"Permission denied for posting/serving this information from any site other than Guitar Effects Projects"

way to go Antal :-D

Lekker boeiend.... :wink:

@BTMB: Why don't you make your kits optional with 3pdt and a led???

Dirk_Hendrik
21 juni 2004, 20:03

@BTMB: Why don't you make your kits optional with 3pdt and a led???[/quote]

Perhaps because that doesn't happen to be part of the board? It's most likely cheaper to spend US$ 7 over here and 25 cents for 1 resistor and a LED at this side of the globe than to have them imported from the US?

Keith,
A little bit too easy for me personal (lemme know when the whammy's come in this form :wink: ) but damn, what a great initiative! :o

Speeddemon
21 juni 2004, 20:21
yeah Keith, or a Metal Charger.

I *know* that Dirkie doesn't find that one *easy*... :lol: :wink: :razz: :roll:

Especially if a certain Mister Cederholm fucked up a schematic. :roll:

bigtonemusicbrewery
22 juni 2004, 01:27
@ sash & antal

The reason there are no 3PDT/LED/AC adaptor or TS808 kits is because I want these to be very easy to build for an absolute beginner. Not that the 808 is all that difficult, but it's a lot more complicated that the other kits that are planned for release.

@sash

NOS BC109c's are on their way. The Si FF kits will be ready in a few weeks.

bigtonemusicbrewery
22 juni 2004, 01:31

@BTMB: Why don't you make your kits optional with 3pdt and a led???

Perhaps because that doesn't happen to be part of the board? It's most likely cheaper to spend US$ 7 over here and 25 cents for 1 resistor and a LED at this side of the globe than to have them imported from the US?

Keith,
A little bit too easy for me personal (lemme know when the whammy's come in this form :wink: ) but damn, what a great initiative! :o[/quote]

Cost wasn't really a factor. I tried to go with the absolute best parts that were practical. I went with the sprague caps and Mullard transistors which are about as good as it gets. But I decided to go with the X-wing switches because they are the easiest to figure out which way to orientate...not because the cost the least. Every aspect of the kit was design for simlicity.