PDA

View Full Version : london city questione

bobdieleman
30 mei 2004, 11:31
Hey

bobdieleman
30 mei 2004, 11:33
er wordt hier regelmatig info gevraagd over die amsterdamse bakjes van london city. ook ik heb er eentje en wil graag meer weten, behalve dat het een alternatief was voor marshalls etc. Is er niet eens een mooi verhaal over verschenen in De Gitarist of een ander muziek/gitaarblad. (Wanneer en welk nummer?) Er is vast wel iemand die dat weet. Bij voorbaat dank. 8-)

nicoverduin
30 mei 2004, 13:19
Ik kan me geen artikel herinneren behalve dat kleine stukje over de Poor man Marshall. En dat was vlgs. mij niet in Gitarist.
Nico

andy
1 juni 2004, 20:18
Dat was in die Holland special van Music Maker een paar maanden geleden. Maar daar stond ook niet veel extra info dan dat het een goedkoop alternatief voor Marshall was.
Ik kan me ook nog een artikel herinneren (waar weet ik niet meer) over de Deventer popmuziek in de jaren 60 en 70.
Daar werd alleen maar gemeld dat de meer professionele Deventer rock bands op den duur versterkers als Sound City, Marshall en London City aanschaften. En dan werd nog een niet meer bestaande winkel genoemd waar ze die spullen haalden.

bobdieleman
2 juni 2004, 09:38
ok, nou misschien moet ik het artikel zelf schrijven. Weet iemand van jullie wie het brein destijds was achter de lc's? gaak eens even flink bellen...(hoe heette die winkel ook al weer?)

andy
2 juni 2004, 13:05
Hier wat info van een gebruiker:

-----------

March 1st, 2004
The poor man's Marshall... That was how they used to call those London City amps back in the days. They were built in the heart of Amsterdam (Van Ostadestraat) and were exact copies of Marshall amps at that time (mid-seventies). They also sounded similar. They looked better though. Those Marshalls were just plain black, pretty dull. The London City amps on the other hand were covered in flashy cyan green tolex. Through the years a lot of LC's died. They were hand built with parts that were available at that moment so some amps were just horrible while others sounded magnificently. Some amps simply fell apart (I've read stories of LC's simply catching fire) but some easily survived the harsh usage on stage or a moisty attic. Some of those some are still around, and if you realize London City made thousands of them and most of those didn't leave the country you can imagine how much there are still catching dust in the attic. So every now and then you see one back at your favorite music store and you think, looks nice, but what is it?
London City also made cabinets, copies also of again, Marshall. Well, those Marshall cabinets were nothing more but 4 Celestion G12H30 speakers, 5 pieces of wood, tolex and cloth. So were the London City cabinets. Exactly the same, except for the cloth and the tolex. So what happened to practically all the LC cabinets? Yup, the cloth was torn off and replaced and the tolex was painted black. In the worst case they just took the G12H30's out to put them in a homemade cabinet. You didn't want to be seen with a London City cabinet right? So if you run into an original cyan green 4x12" London City cabinet, that's a rarity.
Yeah, you guessed it right. I ran into a fully original London City stack. Even though I was completely broke I didn't want to miss this opportunity to get my hands on one of my dream stacks.

--------------------

En dan deze site:

http://www.drtube.com/guitamp.htm#LondonCity

En dan nog wat: In dat artikel van Music Maker stond dat de naam London City is idt over genomen door een Japanse firma, die nu met (bas) gitaren op de markt is gekomen. Misschien heb je daar wat aan.

bobdieleman
2 juni 2004, 16:10
bedankt man! die drtube site kende ik al, maar dat stukkie tekst is lekker spannend! meer van zulk mensen...weet iemand de namen van de bouwer(s)?