PDA

View Full Version : FoxRox ZIM #95 in da house

LordRiffenstein
24 mei 2004, 22:51
Ja ik weet het, weer een review in´t Engels, SUE ME MUDDAFUCKAS :razz:

Ok, first and very early review!!!

I only got to play it for about 2 hours so far and at lowish volume but I still want to post some thoughts but first thanks to Dav Fox for a great service and no thanks to the delivery guys here screwing up TWICE, I could have had the pedal a week earlier :mad: First tests were with my tele, strat and prs into my Engl Savage 120.

Construction-wise, this pedal is as good as it gets, solid feel to the knobs, sturdy STEEL case, heavy as hell. The inside is very clean, the ZIM-cards are not only a great idea but also look great. I already took off the 4 feet (sorry to molest it already Dave) but I have to put some velcro on it to add it to my pedal shelf. The dual ins/outs are what sold this pedal for me, perfect to hook up in a looper in a rack!! 2 thumbs up!!

Channel A which basically has volume and drive with an internal tone pot is fitted with a CS-card. Low to medium overdrive with good lows. My intent for this side of the pedal is to use it as a booster/fattener of an already overdriven amp. Say, going from single coils to humbuckers. On a clean channel you get a nice range of dirty clean to Stonesy crunch which lands it right inside the marks for what I was looking for. With the gain at 9:00-10:00 and the volume at 12:00 it does what I want and does it VERY well. Play with it for a while and you forget it´s there untill you turn it OFF :( what a difference. Although it sounded great right out of the box, I needed to adjust the internal tone control (set at 1:30) a bit to make it a perfect fit for my tone. First target gets hit smack in the face!

ChannelB came with the B9-card, a boutique TS. I wanted this to replace my TS10 that sounds great but tends to get muddy, definitely with my PRS. I first played it with the voicing off and got some smooth tones happening on the clean channel. I backed of the gain and started exploring it with the crunch channels of my amp and lead tones I was getting were totally great, not to smooth, not muddy but thick. Then I started to explore the voicings and had to stop after 3 as my head was spinning from the possibilities. So far I settled on voicing 2 with a slight cut. Makes it a tad more touch responsive giving me a range from smooth to nice biting tone depending on guitar and pickup selection. VERY cool and another big thumbs up.

So far, I´m very impressed with this pedal!! It´s coming with me to rehearsal tomorrow, I´ll also be using it for 2 other rehearsals next week as well as a couple of gigs. In about 2 weeks I´ll post an update but so far, it´s looking VERY good for the ZIM!

sash
24 mei 2004, 23:50
LordRiff,

Congrats on the Zim! De soundfiles vond ik eerlijk gezegd wat teleurstellend, maar heb em nog niet irl gehoord, dus ben zéér benieuwd!
Volgende tone-meeting hopelijk :)

Sash

LordRiffenstein
25 mei 2004, 07:45
LordRiff,

Congrats on the Zim! De soundfiles vond ik eerlijk gezegd wat teleurstellend, maar heb em nog niet irl gehoord, dus ben zéér benieuwd!
Volgende tone-meeting hopelijk :)

Sash

Wel, ik ben het met je eens dat de clips niet echt uitblinken maar ze tonen wel aan hoe veelzijdig dit pedaal is en dat is precies wat ik zocht! Ik hoop binnen enkele weken wat clipjes klaar te stomen!

Robbert
25 mei 2004, 10:57
Ik hoop binnen enkele weken wat clipjes klaar te stomen!

Ik ook! ;)

ieme
25 mei 2004, 12:56
waar staan die soundfiles van de zim?

LordRiffenstein
25 mei 2004, 13:21
waar staan die soundfiles van de zim?

http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/ZIM%20Clips1.html