PDA

View Full Version : LP van The edge

Rutger
8 april 2004, 00:20
hoi,

ik zit al een tijdje rond te surfen naar welke LP The Edge heeft op onderstaande foto's:

http://www.u2takemehigher.com/Edge/pop/ed-pop63.jpg

http://u2.com.pl/gallery/the_edge/the_edge05.jpg

hij lijkt het meest op een '76 Custom, maar de tone/volume knoppen zijn anders en er zit een vreemdsoortige brug op (is niet op de foto's te zien, maar wel op dvd). verder zittern er geen kapjes op de humbuckers, maar die kan ie er zelf ook afgehaald hebben. het is er een met transparante lak. de mooie houtstructuur zie je er doorheen, geen flamed top o.i.d. iemand een idee? k ben gewoon nieuwsgierig, k vind het een erg mooie LP namelijk.

Mark S
8 april 2004, 01:09
Ik zie niet veel bijzonders aan deze LP....volgens mij is de configuratie hetzelfde als alle andere Customs...

BramVersteeg
8 april 2004, 02:55
Hij zal er wel wat aan hebben zitten prutsen ofzo. Lijkt me een redelijk gewone LP custom.

Rutger
8 april 2004, 12:43
oke, dat vroeg ik me idd ook af. maar t kan natuurlijk ook een speciale uitgave zijn, daarom de vraag.

zijn Customs nog verkrijgbaar in deze vorm? ik bedoel dus met transparante lak. meestal zie je ze wit of zwart of een leuk rood kleurtje.

Mithrandir
8 april 2004, 12:47
Hij lijkt meest op een '76 Custom Natural, ik zie echter verder niet zoveel bijzonders aan de brug, dat is toch gewoon een tune-o-matic?

deze heeft dan 3 HB's, ze waren er ook met 2:
http://www.williesguitars.com/Pages/natcustom.html

Rutger
8 april 2004, 13:27
ja, die lijkt er nog het meest op.

alleen dan met 2 humbuckers. op die van The Edge zitten vlg mij andere vol/toneknoppen, van die bruine. ik bedoel eigenlijk niet een andere brug maar een andere stopbar, foutje. op de dvd lijkt ie veel smaller, en waar de bouten zitten is ie dan breder dan de rest van de stopbar. t zijn maar details natuurlijk.

maar is een dergelijke LP nog verkrijgbaar? of zou ik dan naar een '76-er moeten zoeken, kost klauwen met geld natuurlijk.

Mark S
8 april 2004, 13:38
kost klauwen met geld

inderdaad!

Anavrin
8 april 2004, 13:47
is dit wel een transparante? Ik heb deze modellen nl ook wel eens gewoon zo gezien, gebroken wit/ vanille kleurig.

BLOK182
8 april 2004, 14:27
Volgens mij is het idd een ouwe alpine white LP, helemaal verkleurd naar geel. En dan met die spotlights erop kan het idd een beetje een vaag kleurtje worden ja.

Mark S
8 april 2004, 14:39
Ik heb een paar maandjes geleden zo'n verkleurde LP op marktplaats zien staan, werd rond de €2000 voor gevraagd als ik me niet vergis...

P****Fred
8 april 2004, 15:54
GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM

built in: 1972
colour: creme (which was white and faded to cream)
description: once mentioned that it is fitted with dimarzios, it was used for the most achtung baby and zooropa studio sessions, also seen during "the making of pride" video special which got officially released (check your slane dvd). this guitar was used for recording the song "desire" in studio as dallas told me once in nuremberg under the stage. i was allowed to keep this guitar in my hands for some seconds. its neck got already broken once or even twice (not sure anymore if it was broken only one time or already two times). the guitar can easy be identified by its golden pickup rings. it was edge's main axe during the zoo-tv, zooropa- and popmart-tour.
spotted first time: boy-tour!!!
related song: angel of harlem, desire, dirty day, exit, kite, love is blindness, new year's day, one, rejoice, the fly, walk on, who's gonna ride your wild horses, with a shout (jerusalem), zoo station
related album: achtung baby, all that you can't leave behind, boy, october, pop, rattle and hum, the joshua tree, the unforgettable fire, war, zooropa
source: guitar the magazine (vol 5 no 12) (1995) "mysterious wires - dallas schoo" by michael leonard ; page(s): 24-25
al's comment: this guitar has been around a long time and was used during the boy/october tour on songs like "rejoice" and "with a shout". the difference between this guitar and the other similair looking les paul custom is the exposed pickups with the surrounding gold pickup rings.
peter's comment: again i disgaree here you got this back the front phaser, this is his #2 and the newer of his two les paul customs, knick named the fretless wonder as the fret are so low, these are heavy guitars, even heavier that the les paul standard, it has a mahogony top, and is also famous for darker tones, and longer sustain. looks like this guitars has been refitted with dimarzio super distortion pickups, and does not have pickup rings like the other cream les paul. like a lot of edge's guitars is it is refitted with schaller heads for better tuning accuracy. this guitar was also made famous by joe strummer of the clash, (perhaps why edge originally fancied it) and randy rhoads of ozzy fame. mentioned by dallas in mysterious wires interview with michael leonard on page 25.
phaser's comment: in fact gibson's online guitar dating function does say, that there have no creme or white (white, which faded away to creme!) customs from 1972. edge has a 2nd guitar, which looks identical to this one. he bought it during the joshua tree tour in a hurry, because the main custom got its neck broken (that's what i was told by a famous guitar technician from london!). and then there is a 3rd guitar which gets easily mixed up with this model, which you can see in the "the fly" video. note the knobs!! the guitar there is a different one, and it is a real white one!!

GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM

built in: 1975
colour: creme (which was white and faded to cream)
description: this model is a replacement for edge's other 1972 creme custom. it looks identical to the '72 model with the exception of the knobs and the golden pickup rings.
spotted first time: achtung baby
related song: one, the fly, walk on
related album: achtung baby, all that you can't leave behind
source: guitar legends (1988) "close to the edge - by chas de whalley" by chas de whalley ; page(s): 87-89
peter's comment: i disagree with phaser here this guitar edge has had for the longest of the two cream les paul customs and is his #1, it has the dimarzio pickup rings, with the gibson t top pickups open to give a better top end, the original gold pickup covers absorb a lot of the top end. this one has replacement gold knobs, and it had its head stock snapped off during a gig in glasgow this was reported in an interveiw by chas de whalley in guitar legends vol 1 no 4. apparently it was repaired by a luthier from dublin. apparently this guitar was purchased second hand in new york. this guitar wasn't used as much as his #2 les paul during the elevation tour.
phaser's comment: i've seen it first being used during the astoria performance. it seems to be used because of different tunings on some songs. during the "elevation tour" u2 play a couple of songs again in standard tuning instead of the flat tuning! edge has already received his own replacement pickup rings for this guitar, so that he can make it look identical to his main '72. this guitar was used for performing "one" during the elevation tour.

voor foto's zie:

www.u2sound.com

daar bij search

Gibson Custom

Rutger
8 april 2004, 18:17
kijk eens,

dat is nog eens info. thanx dude!

dus toch creme, hm, vind ik die transparante toch mooier. :)

ieme
9 april 2004, 09:09
Leuke info! krijg steeds meer spijt dat ik mn lp custom verkocht heb!