PDA

View Full Version : EQ pedaal

Lacrymosa
21 maart 2004, 16:13
Ey mensen,
Ik ben op zoek naar een goed Eq pedaal, ik heb zon 150 euro te besteden

iemand suggesties en ideeen over alternatieven van de Boss GE7???

CheerS!!

Lacrymosa
21 maart 2004, 16:15
zo eindelijk na 80 keer proberen een post

maar ik mis net die spark, zeg maar net als een wah halverwege, alleen dan wat minder heftig

dus een EQ pedaaltje

Laatst naar wave world geweest, en daar hadden zen een MXR maar dat wat meer een vaste EQ en geen pedaal, zat geen switch op.

Nou kan ik natuurlijk de makkelijke weg nemen een Boss GE7 kopen, maar ik denk dak voor 150 euro wel wat beters kan krijgen

iemand ideeen???

CheerS!!

frisb
21 maart 2004, 16:18
Heb goede verhalen gehoord over de MXR 10-band EQ... Ga daar eens naar kijken zou ik zeggen.

bigtonemusicbrewery
21 maart 2004, 18:16
Have you ever heard of the Baxandall circuit? It's a 3-band EQ(50Hz, 1KHz, 10KHz) with a potential for 20dB of boost/cut. Most graphic EQs use JFETS. This uses a Dual BiFET opAmp with the first stage set as an inverting voltage gain boost and the second as an inverting voltage follower so that the signal goes back to non-inverted. This allows for a wider range of input impedances and increases bandwidth. And it also let's you control the gain (Q), not just the overall output level, something that most graphic EQs don't have. A true parametric EQ allows for control of the Q for each individual frequency and the Baxandall only allows for control of a single Q for all frequencies. This is about as close to parametric as you can get with a pedal.

Aside from rackmount parametric EQs, this circuit is the most transparent EQ I've ever heard (although you can turn up the Q if you want to use it as a boost or overdrive) and since it is a selving EQ, each frequency is given far more bandwidth than a frequency on a graphic EQ, so it has more control than your typical 3-band graphic EQ.

The circuit was originally designed to be a headphone amplifier, but can easily handle the impedance of a guitar signal. The Boss FA-1 is an example of the 2-band Baxandall EQ. IMO, i hate graphic EQ pedals. I think they suck ass. I love this circuit. It is the only EQ pedal that I'd ever use.

Anyways...for 150euros, I'd build you one, but I'm too busy right now. If it's something that you are interested in, I know there are a few guys here on this forum who are handy with the soldering iron. IM me if you want a schematic.

Luigi
21 maart 2004, 18:48
Boss GE-7! :-D

Robbert
21 maart 2004, 21:28
I totally agree with you Keith, graphic EQ's suck:

I have a PQ4, a Boss parametric equalizer, and that thing is so much better then the GE-7, because you can rather select what band to adjust.

Now, I am not using any equalization though, but if I would, I'd surely was looking for parametric EQ's.

Speeddemon
21 maart 2004, 21:45
Thw way I use my graphic EQs (Boss GE-7, MXR 6 band, Ibanez GE9) I couldn't do that with a simple parametric EQ.

I always use a 'double wave' kind of thing:
100Hz +5dB
200Hz +3dB
400Hz -5dB
800Hz +2dB
1.6kHz +5dB
3.2kHz -2dB
level +4dB

vinni
21 maart 2004, 23:54
Ja.....dat lijkt me wel wat....

Een parametrisch pedaal met vier banden en 15Db cut/boost.
Graag buizen drín....ala tube king.....

Eigenlijk moet ik de productontwikkeling in .....tja.....

Vinni

Lacrymosa
22 maart 2004, 09:04
@ Speeddemon:
Welke van de drie bevalt jou het meest?
Ruis/signaal verhoudingen??
en overal tone??

en wat heb je er voor betaald?

CheerS!!

Dirk_Hendrik
22 maart 2004, 10:01
Have you ever heard of the Baxandall circuit? It's a 3-band EQ(50Hz, 1KHz, 10KHz) with a potential for 20dB of boost/cut. Most graphic EQs use JFETS. This uses a Dual BiFET opAmp with the first stage set as an inverting voltage gain boost and the second as an inverting voltage follower so that the signal goes back to non-inverted. This allows for a wider range of input impedances and increases bandwidth.

Hmm,
I wonder which graphic eq's (apparently multiple) you had in mind when writing the above.
Most graphic eq's use an opamp as the first stage. As these all have a very high input impedance your input impedance is defined by your input bias resistors which will go to ground or to a virtual ground at half Vcc depending on the power supply used. The increased bandwith is a fact but will only be of concern when using older design opamps based on bipolar transistors instead of Fets. Whenever this input buffer is used inverting or non-inverting is of no concern for the range of input impedances. The only concern is that the in and output signal should be in phase as eq pedal might be used in an fx loop with a wet/dry mix.

Looking up some examples:
Boss GE7
http://www.exaudio.nl/meuk/GE-7.pdf

Ibanez:
http://www.exaudio.nl/meuk/ibgeq.gif

Electro Harmonix:
http://www.exaudio.nl/meuk/eh7600.gif

pls note these three examples are all built that there's no phase shift between in and output.

Last but not least one can wonder wether a (simple (IMHO) Bauxandall circuit (or in plain english, a standard tone control) can compete with the possibilities possible of a graphic EQ, frequency wise as well as from a (freqency dependent) phase shift perspective.

bigtonemusicbrewery
22 maart 2004, 19:08
Have you ever heard of the Baxandall circuit? It's a 3-band EQ(50Hz, 1KHz, 10KHz) with a potential for 20dB of boost/cut. Most graphic EQs use JFETS. This uses a Dual BiFET opAmp with the first stage set as an inverting voltage gain boost and the second as an inverting voltage follower so that the signal goes back to non-inverted. This allows for a wider range of input impedances and increases bandwidth.

Hmm,
I wonder which graphic eq's (apparently multiple) you had in mind when writing the above.
Most graphic eq's use an opamp as the first stage. As these all have a very high input impedance your input impedance is defined by your input bias resistors which will go to ground or to a virtual ground at half Vcc depending on the power supply used. The increased bandwith is a fact but will only be of concern when using older design opamps based on bipolar transistors instead of Fets. Whenever this input buffer is used inverting or non-inverting is of no concern for the range of input impedances. The only concern is that the in and output signal should be in phase as eq pedal might be used in an fx loop with a wet/dry mix.

Looking up some examples:
Boss GE7
http://www.exaudio.nl/meuk/GE-7.pdf

Ibanez:
http://www.exaudio.nl/meuk/ibgeq.gif

Electro Harmonix:
http://www.exaudio.nl/meuk/eh7600.gif

pls note these three examples are all built that there's no phase shift between in and output.

Last but not least one can wonder wether a (simple (IMHO) Bauxandall circuit (or in plain english, a standard tone control) can compete with the possibilities possible of a graphic EQ, frequency wise as well as from a (freqency dependent) phase shift perspective.

Those examples are all non-inverted. The input bias resistor goes to both ground and +input only in a non-inverting stage. The inverting bias resistor goes directly to the - input. This is of concern because the gain is determined by the ratio of the input bias resistor and the cross-over resistor to output and non-inverting is more sensitive to input impedance.

There are several versions of the Baxandall circuit. There is a passive version which you may be refering to as a standard tone control. I was describing the active version, which can be modified to which ever frequencies you desire. IMO the active baxandall 3-band is better then a 6 or even 10 band graphic EQ because it does not color your tone as much. I agree with you that a graphic EQ has more possibilites than the 3-band, but for me, less is more when it comes to EQs. I can usually get the tone I'm after with out an EQ. If I need just a little boost in a particular frequency, an graphic EQ will completely change my original tone, where as a baxandall with the gain set low will not.

Anyways...it's just my opinion. If graphic EQs work for you then more power to you. Some people use them as part of their tone. I don't, so I don't like them at all.

bigtonemusicbrewery
22 maart 2004, 21:10
This guy does GE-7 mods. http://tone-jam.com/GE7_mod_page.html I'm not exactly sure what he does to them, but the forumites over at http://guitargeek.com/chat seem to like them.

Dirk_Hendrik
23 maart 2004, 10:12
Those examples are all non-inverted. The input bias resistor goes to both ground and +input only in a non-inverting stage. The inverting bias resistor goes directly to the - input. This is of concern because the gain is determined by the ratio of the input bias resistor and the cross-over resistor to output and non-inverting is more sensitive to input impedance.

Those examples are all non-inverted indeed, making them suitable for a wide range of impedances. Which is, indeed, not the case wen using an inverting input stage. However, as you say already, in an inverting stage the impedance gets determined by the input and the cross-over resistor, the use of a JFet, a bipolar or whatever opamp does not matter. Especially since these input stages usually have a low gain and therefore a high bandwidth .

I still wonder which grapic eq circuits you had in mind with these inverting input stages?

now, going to that "sniper" mod, as I think it was called. Robbert (if I remember correctly) asked me the same question some months ago and the answer is I don't know the exact mod. However, some (10) years ago I did a mod on an eq pedal which had results very similar to the results claimed for this sniper mod.

A Boss Eq (as well as that Ibbie and the EH above) all work on the princilple of a so called "gyrator". A gyrator is nothing else as an active electronic replacement of an inductor. Advantage of a gyrator is that inductances whis would require bulky coils (better buy a larger pedal case) are relaised ealsily. Description and calculations for a a gyrator circuit can be found in this article:
http://www.ethanwiner.com/spectrum.html

When applying these formula's on a standard commercial EQ one will find that the center frequency's are not what they are claimed to be. This because standard range components are used as the cusomized componets would be way too expensive. As we al know EQ circuits are divided in octave, half octave or third-octave bands. The more exact these divisions are made, the more musical the eq will sound. Therefore, when calculating the exact component values end replacing them with the closest value available (take high grade low tolerence caps and tweak resistor values) will give a way better sounding eq.

Lacrymosa
23 maart 2004, 10:50
Allemaal leuk en aardig al die technische zooi, maar ik weet nou nog steeds niet wel EQ pedaaltje ik het beste kan kopen

En als ik er 1 zelf wil maken, kank dat op school zo doen (HBO Elektro)

maar ik wil gewoon een goed, kant en klaar, stevig en goed klinkend pedaal
maar welke is dat??

CheerS!!

Kjiratsiekoedel
23 maart 2004, 11:16
neem er 2!!

als je die achter elkaar zet, geeft dat een heel nieuw geluid

Dirk_Hendrik
23 maart 2004, 11:51
Allemaal leuk en aardig al die technische zooi, maar ik weet nou nog steeds niet wel EQ pedaaltje ik het beste kan kopen

En als ik er 1 zelf wil maken, kank dat op school zo doen (HBO Elektro)

Ik heb het nooit gehad over zelf maken. Daar ben ik in de meeste gevallen veel te ook lui voor. Wat ik je net wel gaf was de manier om (bijvoorbeeld) een gewone Boss GE een verschrikkelijk stuk beter te laten klinken voor minimale kosten. Met HBO electro zou je daar zeker toe in staat moeten zijn. Maar goed hoor, take it or leave it.

Lacrymosa
23 maart 2004, 11:56
ik zou er wel 1 voor mn Amp/distortion zetten en de andere in mn FX loop

maar ja, wat heb je er aan

CheerS!!

Jeroenvanhulsteijn
24 maart 2004, 01:17
Je moet eens op zoek gaan naar een Boss GE 10. Dat is een 10 bands equalizer. Werkt op 230 V. Zit aansluiting op om hem met een footswitch te bypassen. Schijnt erg goed te zijn. Ik heb hem zelf gehad. Maar het is de enige eq die ik ooit gehad heb. Degene die hem van hem kocht was er in ieder geval erg blij mee. Want hij was er al jaren naar op zoek. Hij zei dat dit ding je toon heel laat. Hij heeft er toen 75 euro voor betaald. En dat vond ik prachtig. Ik had hem voor 30 gulden gekocht van een studio die al het oude spul weg deed. Maar hij zal vast wel 75 euro waard zijn. Owjah, het schijnt ook dat je ze zelden tegenkomt. Misschien eens ebay proberen.

Lacrymosa
24 maart 2004, 09:19
Ik heb gister een boss GE7 en een MXR 10 bands uitgeprobeerd, maar die Boss is als ie uit staan DOF en onnatuurlijk, en die MXR laat je toon wel helemaal heel, maar die plopt als je em aanzet en ruist als de ziekte

dus ik denk dak maar ff verder moet zoeken, of idd die mod uitvoeren op een GE7

we zien wel

CheerS!!

Nicci
25 maart 2004, 08:11
Je moet eens op zoek gaan naar een Boss GE 10. Dat is een 10 bands equalizer. Werkt op 230 V. Zit aansluiting op om hem met een footswitch te bypassen. Schijnt erg goed te zijn. Ik heb hem zelf gehad. Maar het is de enige eq die ik ooit gehad heb. Degene die hem van hem kocht was er in ieder geval erg blij mee. Want hij was er al jaren naar op zoek. Hij zei dat dit ding je toon heel laat. Hij heeft er toen 75 euro voor betaald. En dat vond ik prachtig. Ik had hem voor 30 gulden gekocht van een studio die al het oude spul weg deed. Maar hij zal vast wel 75 euro waard zijn. Owjah, het schijnt ook dat je ze zelden tegenkomt. Misschien eens ebay proberen.

die heb ik nog liggen. gebruik hem eigenlijk weinig . . . .
8-)

Jeroenvanhulsteijn
25 maart 2004, 09:19
hey lacrymosa, tziet er naar uit dat je even contact op moet nemen met nicci :D