PDA

View Full Version : Boost with 3-band EQ vs. Fullrange Tone Knob

bigtonemusicbrewery
16 maart 2004, 21:35
What do you guys think? Personally, I like the control of the EQ, but the tone konb is more transparent and preserves your original tone better. It's a tough decision.

Mitch
16 maart 2004, 23:11
Hmmmm......you should add that info on the HC-thread !
Now let me think this over again and come to a different opinion: if the circuit with a tone knob is the tone saver and the EQ is your flexible friend, why not go for the EQ but make it switchable instead ?
I figure with the switch "off" the signal runs through a boost only and with it "on" it passes the EQ.

bigtonemusicbrewery
17 maart 2004, 01:47
Hmmmm......you should add that info on the HC-thread !
Now let me think this over again and come to a different opinion: if the circuit with a tone knob is the tone saver and the EQ is your flexible friend, why not go for the EQ but make it switchable instead ?
I figure with the switch "off" the signal runs through a boost only and with it "on" it passes the EQ.

I would add that to the HC thread but their oppinions are too easily swayed by suggestion, so I will try to refrain.

Hmmmm...a switch to turn the EQ on and off. That's brilliant! I wish I had thought of that! :wink:

Mitch
17 maart 2004, 09:58
:D
After I wrote that I thought......uhmm....didn't he already.......

And yes, you did tell me earlier :oops:

The Thumb
17 maart 2004, 10:19
Why don't you go for the Javaboost setup? A switch that defines the boost range (full/ mid&treble/ treble) and an additional toneknob to finetune the boost?

sash
17 maart 2004, 11:12
I don't really like EQ's on boosters. The more knobs on boosters, the less tone, the less transparency.

For me, a booster should be transparant and clean as hell and don't add much to your sound except some extra output to turn your amp into sweet overdrive.

I think it work out better if the EQ would be switchable. So that you have the choice of a regular cleanboost or a booster with some toneshaping.

Robbert
17 maart 2004, 11:57
Bruce Bennett's Boost-e-a has a nice tone knob. His tone knob has a 1KHz centre point and can tilt between treble and bass.

Although it is not a clean boost, it has some distortion, it is a nice booster!

http://www.gaspedal.com/images/jpg/brown4.jpg

Mitch
17 maart 2004, 13:47
Why don't you go for the Javaboost setup? A switch that defines the boost range (full/ mid&treble/ treble) and an additional toneknob to finetune the boost?

I don't think he wants his booster to be called a "Keeley-clone" :razz:

Robbert
17 maart 2004, 16:27
I don't think he wants his booster to be called a "Keeley-clone" :razz:

Perhaps not, but the Javaboost is certainly more then nice, so it wouldn't be an insult :lol:

sash
17 maart 2004, 18:19
Yeah that's true, but I wouldn't like to be compared with Keeley, cause he's ugly as hell.

But then on the other hand, I'm even uglier :D

Mitch
17 maart 2004, 19:51
The difference with HCEF: we don't take ourselves seriously all the time :)

The Thumb
17 maart 2004, 20:12
You know what would be my ´ideal´ boost pedal? A totally transparent boost with a volume knob and a tone knob, the latter to dial in additional mid range. Since I use boost pedals mainly for lead playing I want three things:

(1) additional gain
(2) additonal volume
(3) a controllable midboost (to cut better through the mix)

As far as I know this kind of pedal does not exist yet. If anyone knows of one, please let me know...

sash
17 maart 2004, 20:26
Yeah those excist!

They're green pedals, called tubescreamers :D

The Thumb
17 maart 2004, 21:14
I can´t recall saying that I wanted bass cut, treble cut and UNcontrollable midboost...

Mitch
17 maart 2004, 21:44
Tell him, Thumb, tell him ! :D

sash
17 maart 2004, 22:11
I can´t recall saying that I wanted bass cut, treble cut and UNcontrollable midboost...

Just kidding bro :D

Mitch
17 maart 2004, 22:15
JER-RY ! JER-RY ! JER-RY ! :lol:

sash
17 maart 2004, 22:32
Pffff Michel, jij weet ook wel van een mug een olifant te maken he :D

Mitch
17 maart 2004, 22:39
Ja sorry, ik ben een héééél klein beetje melig vandaag :razz:

sash
17 maart 2004, 23:39
Ik ben benieuwd hoe het woordje melig door keith's taalmachine wordt gehaald :D

bigtonemusicbrewery
18 maart 2004, 17:18
Ik ben benieuwd hoe het woordje melig door keith's taalmachine wordt gehaald :D

Pffff Michel, you weet also of a mosquito an elephant he _________________ to make

For sale:

Fender pro Reverb, 40W, 2x12 new new speakers â'¬990 fail,-

Fender 60's Classic in Olympic White with gigbag and lederen strap
â'¬450,-

Up

Seymour Paul

Registered on: 2-3-2002
To report: 2095
Place of residence: Schiedam
Placed: Wo Mrt 17, 2004 22.39 subjects:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes sorry, I am héééél small beetje farinaceously today

Up

sash

Registered on: 3-1-2002
To report: 7179
Place of residence: knight church
Placed: Wo Mrt 17, 2004 23.39 subjects:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am curious the woordje is how farinaceously obtained by keith's
language machine _________________

Farinaceously: Starchy, consisting of grain or meal.

Mitch
18 maart 2004, 18:13

This World lingo translates as literally as possible ! Good fun !

It should read:
Sash: boy Michel, you sure blow things up...
Michel: yeah, sorry, I'm in a funny mood today.

Back on topic: have you made up your mind about the booster yet ?

bigtonemusicbrewery
18 maart 2004, 21:20

This World lingo translates as literally as possible ! Good fun !

It should read:
Sash: boy Michel, you sure blow things up...
Michel: yeah, sorry, I'm in a funny mood today.

Back on topic: have you made up your mind about the booster yet ?

I'm pretty sure I've got it worked out now. I might add a FET Amp to it as well. Since half of it will already exist from the EQ, I might as well go all out. Then a certain someone on the HC forum can kiss that! Yes, I'm pretty sure there will also be a FET Amp. THat will work out perfect cuz the prototype has a 4way switch and only uses 3 of the posistions!

So there will be a level knob. A 4-way switch to choose between Germanium/LPB/MOSFET/BiFET Amp boosters. And then the EQ section will either switch from a 2-band EQ or a mid-scoop style tone knob or can be bypassed completely for pure transparent boost tone

This info is privy to the Dutch forum. The first pedal should be out in the first week of April as soon as I get the enclosures.

Mitch
18 maart 2004, 21:51
Our lips are sealed.

By the way Keith, that signature of yours: world lingo too ?

Fuzzes on their way now ?

bigtonemusicbrewery
19 maart 2004, 05:20
By the way Keith, that signature of yours: world lingo too ?

No. Latin of the Piglet persuasion. THere's a typo though. Ornkay should be otatopay.