PDA

View Full Version : is het verlies van Amerika uw aanwinst?

bigtonemusicbrewery
18 februari 2004, 00:53
Het grootste deel van "grote" guitars en heel wat grote amps worden
gemaakt in U.S. De Amerikaanse Dollar bereikt helemaal een lage tijd. Denkt u kerels dat het minder kost om direct te kopen van de Staten en
voor het verschepen te betalen of het nog goedkoper is om van uw
lokale guitar winkel te kopen?

bigtonemusicbrewery
18 februari 2004, 00:58
Ik vertaalde enkel de titel van deze draad en het houdt werkelijk geen
steek, maar ik denk u kerels weet wat ik probeer om te zeggen.

Robbert
18 februari 2004, 01:13
Importing is very cheap for us Europeans. However, with bigger parts, like amplifiers and guitars there is customs tax involved. Pedals are pretty often shipped as gifts and thus untaxed.

I have no doubt, not even a little, that the lower USD value has given some boutique pedalmakers quite a good.

Personally, I can tell you I've made certain purchases because of the lower value.
But then again, I would have probably bought them anyway. But now I managed to get them sometimes 60 euro cheaper and I didn't have to do anything in return! :D

The way I see it: the lower value of the Dollar must have increased export quite a lot! I don't buy electronic parts here anymore, it's way cheaper to buy overseas.

I'm thinking of opening a Dollar bankaccount. There's no way the Dollar is going to stay so low, so I might get some free cash out of it, hehehe ;)

sash
18 februari 2004, 01:21
When it comes down to boutique effects, it mostly is a lot cheaper to buy it in the US.

We have one company here in the Netherlands that sells boutique fx: www.haarguitars.nl and that guy's prices mostly can compete with those of i.e. Musictoyz, but when he doesn't import the pedal that you're looking you can still buy it in the US.
When the value is set to 40 bucks you don't get to pay any taxes, so that's a pretty big advantage :)

Guitars aren't a lot cheaper than overhere. The shipping costs a lot of money and the custom taxes don't make it interesting to import a guitar. There is one guy on this forum who get's all his guitars from the bay but those are all high-end and one of a kind Deans, which are not available overhere.
So it only would be worth it with expensive Custom-made guitars.

Importing amps is virtually impossible because of the different voltage and ofcourse, the weight and the fragileness (is that a word? :D ). I still get shivers when I think of those pesky UPS guys throwing a blackface Super in their van :D

Harry
18 februari 2004, 10:25
and off course we have Korean guitars and German amps.

Mitch
18 februari 2004, 12:16
Ik ga voor het Nederlands hoor....maar met Amerikaanse grammatica :D

Eerst mijn excuses ik begreep niet onmiddellijk het was jij, Keith.
Ik vermoeddde een trol aan het werk !
Maar welkom: de eerste professional die meedoet aan het Nederlands forum. Ik hoop binnenkort ook een Nederlands gitaarbouwer te zien, maar die heeft het nog druk met zijn nieuwe baby !

Maar on-topic: de lage dollar koers is een belangrijke reden dat je veel Europeanen op het effects forum ziet en minder op andere fora: het is interessanter om een pedaal te laten overkomen dan een versterker.

bigtonemusicbrewery
18 februari 2004, 17:00

Maar welkom: de eerste professional die meedoet aan het Nederlands forum. Ik hoop binnenkort ook een Nederlands gitaarbouwer te zien, maar die heeft het nog druk met zijn nieuwe baby !

Maar on-topic: de lage dollar koers is een belangrijke reden dat je veel Europeanen op het effects forum ziet en minder op andere fora: het is interessanter om een pedaal te laten overkomen dan een versterker.

Michel! Howdy Pardner. Het is me, maar ik kan nog een sleeplijn zijn als you'd als. :razz:

Wat is een straaloor? Ook, wat is een biggetje? Is dat jargon voor iets?

Anyways...de pedalen zijn veel interessanter. Thats waarom ik pedalen en niet amps bouw. Daar slechts kunnen zo vele verschillende geluiden u tweek uit amp (en
zij vereisen a lot more tijd en kapitaal). Wanneer bouwpedalen, u kunt mod. en tweek en mengeling en gelijkekringen tot uw
hartenverrukking. En het klopt uw ezel op de vloer niet wanneer u een levende draad
raakt!

bigtonemusicbrewery
18 februari 2004, 17:01

Michel! Howdy Pardner. Het is me, maar ik kan nog een sleeplijn zijn als you'd als. :razz:

Wat is een straaloor? Ook, wat is een biggetje? Is dat jargon voor iets?

Anyways...de pedalen zijn veel interessanter. Thats waarom ik pedalen en niet amps bouw. Daar slechts kunnen zo vele verschillende geluiden u tweek uit amp (en
zij vereisen a lot more tijd en kapitaal). Wanneer bouwpedalen, u kunt mod. en tweek en mengeling en gelijkekringen tot uw
hartenverrukking. En het klopt uw ezel op de vloer niet wanneer u een levende draad
raakt!

Harry
18 februari 2004, 17:13
:seriousf:

dit had ik zelf niet kunnen verzinnen

Quink
18 februari 2004, 17:14
En het klopt uw ezel op de vloer niet wanneer u een levende draad raakt!

http://smile.smilies.nl/367.gif http://smile.smilies.nl/367.gif Wha ha ha, ja, dat is ook een manier om "ass" te vertalen.

(Ezel = donkey)

BLOK182
18 februari 2004, 17:18
I recently saw that not only pedals and guitars are becoming cheaper over here, but also amps, for example, the German shop www.proguitar.com lowered some of their boogie prices by 10 percent.

bigtonemusicbrewery
18 februari 2004, 21:06
En het klopt uw ezel op de vloer niet wanneer u een levende draad raakt!

http://smile.smilies.nl/367.gif http://smile.smilies.nl/367.gif Wha ha ha, ja, dat is ook een manier om "ass" te vertalen.

(Ezel = donkey)

Glad to be of some comic relief :oops:

ijff
18 februari 2004, 21:55
To return to the topic:

It's just more exciting to order a (boutique) pedal. First there's the fun of searching a pedal which seems to fit your needs just based on testimonials of users of the pedal. Then often the 1on1 contact with the builder who can sometimes tweek the pedal to your taste. And then the waiting... once you placed your order the days seem like weeks... until you finally receive the pedal and hook it up for the first time just to find it's everything you hoped it would be.
Prices are a big pro now. It's cheaper to order a boutique pedal from the U.S. than to buy a Carl martin or Fulltone from the local shop.

Although sometimes you have to cope with some major disappointment.. when you think you have found the pedal of your dreams just to find out the builder is 'not accepting orders at the moment' :wink:

Quink
18 februari 2004, 22:30

No offense meant. I'm not laughing at you. It's just such a great sentence, "And it doesn't knock your donkey to the floor when you touch a live wire". God, I love these translation programs. :-D :-D

bigtonemusicbrewery
19 februari 2004, 01:27
To return to the topic:

It's just more exciting to order a (boutique) pedal. First there's the fun of searching a pedal which seems to fit your needs just based on testimonials of users of the pedal. Then often the 1on1 contact with the builder who can sometimes tweek the pedal to your taste. And then the waiting... once you placed your order the days seem like weeks... until you finally receive the pedal and hook it up for the first time just to find it's everything you hoped it would be.
Prices are a big pro now. It's cheaper to order a boutique pedal from the U.S. than to buy a Carl martin or Fulltone from the local shop.

Although sometimes you have to cope with some major disappointment.. when you think you have found the pedal of your dreams just to find out the builder is 'not accepting orders at the moment' :wink:

:wink: back at'cha, baby!

bigtonemusicbrewery
19 februari 2004, 01:29

No offense meant. I'm not laughing at you. It's just such a great sentence, "And it doesn't knock your donkey to the floor when you touch a live wire". God, I love these translation programs. :-D :-D

No offense taken. :-D Mental note to self: Don't try to use slang or curse words anymore.

The Thumb
19 februari 2004, 09:42
When dealing with USA 'boutique' builders with a relative small sales volume an additional advantage of buying pedals directly in the USA is that some of these builders might give you a great pirce discount, just to get some overseas exposure.

Harry
19 februari 2004, 10:15

No offense taken. :-D Mental note to self: Don't try to use slang or curse words anymore.

It's great that you try to use Dutch here anyway!!!! :)

Dirk_Hendrik
19 februari 2004, 11:25

Please, go on!! This is so funny.

Speeddemon
19 februari 2004, 14:11
Ik zal t ook eens proberen:

Ik zou een rat z'n ezel kunnen geven indien Mike Fuller hier zou willen posten. Ik vaak hoor dat die vent een pretentieuze ezelgat is.

Persoonlijk vind ik Keith's presentie hier veel meer comfortabel.

(now, what would the original sentences be? btw, I didn't use some translating program except Speeddemon's Brain® v1.02 :lol: )

Lucky
19 februari 2004, 14:28
go your hallway, you all, within it trying, English to talkin !!!
learn once a language right, potfarthreefatme

stelletje gevoeloosschedels, haal je hoofd uit je ezel!
:D

Speeddemon
19 februari 2004, 14:52
I did get the "bunch of numbskulls, get your head outta your ass" part, Gelukkig!

But the "Ga je gang, jullie allen, binnen het proberen, Engels te praten" part feels more akward.

Lucky
19 februari 2004, 14:57
Het was mijn oproep aan jullie allen om eens goed engels te leren, potverdriedikkeme

:)

ReinoutV
19 februari 2004, 15:15
You can my back up!

;)

Go you corridor but.

Quink
19 februari 2004, 15:16
stelletje gevoeloosschedels, haal je hoofd uit je ezel!
:D

Ja, graag!

De ezel. (Auw)

bigtonemusicbrewery
19 februari 2004, 16:27
Ik hoop mijn aanwezigheid hier iedereen geen gevoel ongemakkelijk
maakt. Ik heb geen aanspraken. Al mijn spam wordt gedaan op HC. Bovendien, mijn ezel en ik neem op dit ogenblik een rust.

Nu, als u me zult excuseren. Ik moet gaan ransel mijn vrouw. Ik zag haar enkel scherend haar oksels met mijn scheermes.

bigtonemusicbrewery
19 februari 2004, 16:31
You can my back up!

;)

Go you corridor but.

Do you mean, "You got my back", or do you mean, "Back that thing up"? 2 very different phrases. And then there's, "Back the fuck up". Ebonics has many subtleties.

Mitch
19 februari 2004, 17:44

What are you looking for, ijff ?

@Keith: you can go my back up means something like "you can kiss my ass" but slightly milder.....
The words you used in the quote: I haven't got the faintest idea what that translating thin does to my Dutch, really.... :o
Anyway: you've got mail !

And be gentle on your wife: as long as she takes the effort to shave arm pits and legs and stuff, she still likes you :D

ijff
19 februari 2004, 18:50
I was thinking of selling my Ibanez Tubeking and buy a Tubescreamer clone.
The Tube King is great.. but it almost sounds the same as the crunch on my Koch Pedaltone, so it doesn't add a lot to my setup.
And the Bigtone Classic Overdrive might just be the one...
But i haven't decided yet... first I'm gonna try out some different tubes in the TubeKing.. maybe that'll do the trick.

ReinoutV
19 februari 2004, 20:15
You can my back up!

;)

Go you corridor but.

Do you mean, "You got my back", or do you mean, "Back that thing up"? 2 very different phrases. And then there's, "Back the fuck up". Ebonics has many subtleties.

Nope sorry :). These are just exact translations of some dutch phrases. You can my back up is: je kan mijn rug op, like in: No way, Jose. Go your corridor but is: ga je gang maar: do as you like. Dutch humor... :)

V!N
21 februari 2004, 22:50
Keith !

It's you.

I've been over your page quite a few times now. I love your sloped enclosures, I used a lot of the the blue/white sloped ones from Hammond for mine.

I'll mail you later about your fuzzbender, there are a few things I'd like to know and I think you might want to know a little more about benders as well.

take care,

V!N

ps: Al jullie pedaal zijn behoren aan ons ;)

Speeddemon
25 februari 2004, 22:51
Uit welk spel was die verbasterde quote ook alweer?
een of ander oud Atari spel ofzo...

"All your base are belong to us" zoiets toch?

ijff
26 februari 2004, 00:27
Yep... voor diegenen die'm nog niet kenden:

http://www.aybase.co.uk/index.php?page=badcrcflash.php

ReinoutV
26 februari 2004, 12:20
T is dus eigenlijk een soort van owned?

V!N
26 februari 2004, 20:43
T is dus eigenlijk een soort van owned?

Ja, maar dan anders ..

wat is owned ?

ReinoutV
27 februari 2004, 11:35
Oh, je bent geen nerd?

http://images.google.nl/images?hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=owned&sa=N&tab=wi&lr=

Oftewel: je 'beheerst' de ander. Muhahahaha... En zo...

V!N
27 februari 2004, 13:06
Oh, je bent geen nerd?

http://images.google.nl/images?hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=owned&sa=N&tab=wi&lr=

Oftewel: je 'beheerst' de ander. Muhahahaha... En zo...

Ah kijk, de ander volledig inmaken dus.
Zoals hier:

http://home.nycap.rr.com/tbgnlee/owned.jpg

weer wat geleerd :)

ReinoutV
27 februari 2004, 14:04
Dat is inderdaad een uitstekend voorbeeld.