PDA

View Full Version : God Rest You Merry Bankers +

CarsickPhil
25 november 2011, 14:26
Dear all

I wanted to thank you all for your kind feedback and encouragement when I posted a song called "Mooi Lady" in October. I have learned a bit more since but still have much more to learn. One of things I've been trying is multi-tracking and my first song using this method is a seasonal offering entitled, "God Rest You Merry Bankers" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmEm7ciehxc
I am all too conscious of it's technical imperfections, but hope you enjoy this little poke at the banking elite.

My second attempt has me moaning about the local bus service. I think this shows some improvement in mixing and overall feel. Quite good that I sung it at the end of cold so my voice sounds a bit more sad and beaten down by my daily commute http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ShuT-Y5AqQ

Next steps are to work on that voice over Christmas and see if I can get it to sing out properly in blues music. I also want to work on chugging harmonica riffs as I quite like the sound of the guitar cutting over the top of this. Might be quite a gap before I have something to show for this, because it is going to be a bit hard.

Any thoughts or suggestions would, as ever, be greatly appreciated. Just let me know if you'd like feedback on one of your posts.

Merry Christmas to you all

Carsick Phil

Duhsjaak
25 november 2011, 16:14
Hi
How so? (Hoe zo) een merry (female horse) Christmas?

That's over a month away. Do you really think you could get away with that?

You've got to be kidding (kinderen) aren't you? You're pulling my leg (je trekt aan mijn been)!!!

Perhaps the COE would approve, but in the NL we're a bit more Calvinistic than in the UK.

Yes, if the bonuses will not go through the roof, the chimney will.
I love the first. Wish I would have come up with that.

If you are a bit self conscious about double tracking, I can put your mind at ease.

Do it more often and it will wear off, this self consciousness.

Could well be that number 2 is better. A lot of people fancy auto biographic stuff. I'm not one of them. The lyrics tend to get a bit wining for my taste. An appropriate measure of violence (that's where the imagination comes in) would liven it up a bit.

I'm all in favor of your joining us and I'm also in favor of Bashing the Bankers.

Proposal:
Listen to Vivian Stanshall. He kicks the sand right back in their faces. Kick!!! Hahahaha! (Mr. Apollo - a.o.). Now that's the way to go! Long live Vivian. Ahhhhh........ too late I'm afraid.

Kind regards, Gus

CarsickPhil
28 november 2011, 15:03
Dear Gus

Christmas comes early in the UK. We have lights up in the city, shelves piled high with seasonal food and gifts, music playing, etc. It is dreadful.

There are quite a few banker bashing songs around now. I'll check out Vivian Stanshall hear how they used to deliver a strong message in the past.

I've put together a playlist of good stuff I found on youtube protesting against the economic crisis in song with good humour and without being too pious: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL19C751366CFBC185

All the best

Carsick Phil

Duhsjaak
29 november 2011, 12:04
Hi Phil
To avoid a civilized but thoroughly boring conversation between two gentlemen, I'd like to point out that Christmas may be early in the UK. But one hour later than in Amsterdam!

I've listened to your play list with an enormous lot of pleasure. Especially the FYC make over. Great.

If you are interested in Vivian Stanshall
- Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band
- (Grimms)
- Solo (+with numerous fictional bands)
- Radio broadcasts solo and with Keith Moon
- Radio Flashes
- Sir Henry at Rawlinson End
- Stinkfoot, an English Comic Opera (with Ki Longfellow-Stanshall) Published exclusively in the NL by Sea Urchin Editions, Rotterdam

But don't underestimate the influence you have with your own Merry Bankers Bashing! It is high time for the Captains of Industry and world leaders to put mind over matter. Don't hold your breath!
Kind regards, Gus

If you're interested in the not commercially available things the H. Vivian made, send a P.M. with an e-mail address. And I'll let you download all I have.