PDA

View Full Version : Drums opnemen

Han S
6 september 2008, 21:16
Draadje op PSW over drums opnemen waarbij de drummer veel te hard gaat op de cymbals. Een post van iemand die me wat doet denken aan Slipperman:

As I am right this very minute wondering if my right ear will ever again reproduce the sound of a flushing toilet or running sink without distortion due to exactly this type of entitlement freak, I will apologize in advance for the rant.

<RANT WARNING>

There was a comment on this board just this afternoon stating that the brass/battery balance is always the job of the engineer's mic placement.

While I understand and even agree with that sentiment in it's context _after_the_fact_, the truth is that the proper addressing of the Brass/Battery balance IS ALWAYS THE JOB OF THE DRUMMER.

End of discussion.

Full stop.

No exceptions.

"Engineers" and "Producers" who teach young percussionists otherwise are in fact part, if not the ROOT, of the problem.

If Emo-boy can't f-ing play, Emo-boy shouldn't be f-ing working.

Same deal with sh*t-for-brains tonedeaf asshat f*cktards who can't be bothered to learn how to tune their guitars... or basses... or du'duk's or what the f*ck ever.

There are a sh*tload of opinions about the current state of the industry, and whose fault it might be, and what to do about it. The truth of course is actually quite simple. Stop pretending that these clueless twits have talent.

And don't give me any weak sh*t about how we can only do what we're given, that's straight up bullsh*t. The truth is that the cowcrap hacks have been given free reign on this industry for the last 40 years, and that is ENTIRELY the fault of those who should have known better. I.E - YOU AND ME. If you don't agree with that simple precept, then you are sadly mistaken.

Please note that these comments are the result of a very bad week, culminating in a very bad night, and are not directed toward anyone in particular. I'm sorry if I have offended anyone... but by the same token, I am now convinced that there is a special place in hell for those of us who have helped convince the public that some track-a-lackin schmuck is worthy of a career.

As to the issue at hand... I have never been convinced that hitting the battery harder is the answer to anyone's issue. Quite contrary to (pff...) "modern" thought, the best drum sounds in history were NOT the sole result of hitting the toms harder.

Ask your young "drummer" to put on the headphones and listen to the raw track for 20 minutes at 120dba (f they can do it to us, we can do it to them).

Then put on some Brubeck and ask if he can tell the f*cking difference.

Free Clues: Balance and Talent.

Just sayin.

<sigh... /rant>

Okay... I feel moderately better now.

Sorry.

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/24723/1221/

yhcmarc
7 september 2008, 10:32
De link leidt tot een wit scherm. En als een drummer niet hard gaat op cymbals krijgt hij van mij persoonlijk een potje whoopass, net als drummers die ruige muziek spelen met een constant dichte hihat, verschikkelijk.

tot nog toe heb ik alleen "harde" bands opgenomen

Roman
7 september 2008, 10:58
Ik vind trouwens 90% van alle drummers toch prutsers. Maar goed.
Metal met een dichte hi-hat of een open hi-hat, stom argument.

Ik HAAAAAAT open hi-hats vanwege de herrie, maar het rockt wel lekker ;)

subtiel drummen, waasdaa?

Ik kan me wel vinden Han's post. punk-ass-wanna-be "musicians".

guhlenn
7 september 2008, 13:09
[QUOTE=Roman]Ik vind trouwens 90% van alle drummers toch prutsers./QUOTE]

+1. Maar dat geld ook voor gitaristen, bassisten etc. Niet voor zangers. daar is het percentage 99%.

The Lo Lands
7 september 2008, 13:44
[QUOTE=Roman]Ik vind trouwens 90% van alle drummers toch prutsers./QUOTE]

+1. Maar dat geld ook voor gitaristen, bassisten etc. Niet voor zangers. daar is het percentage 99%.It's lonely at the top :D

vincent136
7 september 2008, 15:19
Tot nu toe heb ik ook nog maar met 1 fijne drummer gewerkt, die was dan ook weer zo goed dat het alle mindere compenseerde :)

Het is zo fijn als je een drummer hebt die zijn kitje goed stemt, een goede feel, en ook erg belangrijk, een goede techniek. Aanslag meestal even hard, niet dan weer hard en dan weer zacht, heerlijk.. ('t gaat hier dan om live geluid, geen studio)

Maar dan merk je dat het afregelen toch wel weer heel fijn gaat.. ik ken ze ook wel waar je om het nummer weer met de gain moet bijregelen, of dat de hi-hatt opeens overal overheen knalt.

guhlenn
8 september 2008, 08:28
[QUOTE=guhlenn]It's lonely at the top :D

UItzondering en regel enzo ;)