PDA

View Full Version : buizen combineren

niekb
28 juni 2008, 16:01
Twee weken terug heb ik JJ 6l6 buizen in mn mesa gezet maar het geluid is een stuk fuzzier dan met de originele Mesa buizen. Niet wat ik wil.

Nu zat ik te denken aangezien 1 van de Mesa buizen microfonisch is, of het mogelijk is om alleen die buis te vervangen. Ter experiment om te horen wat dit doet.

Normaal is het beter om beide buizen te vervangen maar aangezien het een fixed bias is blijft deze hetzelfde.

Zie ik iets over het hoofd of kan ik dit zonder ernstige gevolgen doen?
Dus 1 Mesa eindbuis en 1 JJ. Graag jullie opinie hierover.

niekb
28 juni 2008, 16:12
Ik kwam dit tegen op het Birds and moons forum:
Wat ik hieruit opmaak is dat het dus geen ruk uitmaakt welke kleurcode je in je Mesa zet.. klopt dat?

Ik begin nu een beetje te twijfelen wat ik ga doen.
GT's uitproberen of toch gaan voor Mesa buizen.

Originally Posted by CU2487
Hi, you are right, you donīt find the Mesa Boogie reference scale in the Aspen Pittman Tube Amp Book, which I also have. Also at the GT- site, one canīt read something about that. Itīs already some time ago, I found the following link, with a lot of interesting technical information about Groove Tubes, also detailed information about their power tube rating system. According to their explainings, the GT- range for Mesa Boogie amps is 4,5,6 as following:

Mesa scale / Groove Tubes scale

Red / 4
Yellow / 4
Green / 5
Gray / 5
Blue / 6
White / 6

Here is the link:

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinti...oovetubes.html (http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/groovetubes.html)

However, the interesting point is, that mesa boogie himself says, that their is no relationship to the idle current draw of their tubes and their color coding. Which means, that for example a red colored power tube donīt run hotter than green or blue colored oneīs. According to Mesa Boogie, their color coding is for matching, selecting purposes only.

2 years ago, I bought a bias meter (bias master from ruby tubes ) and did just for interest some measurings of the idle bias current with different colore tube pairs from Mesa and my Mark IV. To make it short, the measured idle bias current values I could read were surprisingly low, much lower as expected, also regarding the oftener mentioned medium bias current draw of Mesa Boogie power tubes, which should be around 30 mA with a 6L6 tube for example. At least I had expected readings around 25 mA for a 6L6.
A further interesting result were greater different idle current values than expected, regarding what Mesa told me about their color coding system. I had pairs of Mesaīs 6L6 STR 430 with green, gray and blue color codes. The funny thing was, that I could read only between 11 to 17 mA, apperently rising from green to blue. that would be just what the GT scale says, but in reverse.
I did all measurings with the inner tube pair of the MK IV, running in class A/B using the Tweed Power modus, which I mostly like to use. I just tested the whole thing also in the Full Power modus and the idle current values were growing around 4 to 6 mA. Still quite low, IMO!
Although with a pair of 6L6 STR 454 ( Svets ) I got around 25 mA with Tweed Power and 33 mA with Full Power, what should be oK.
To avoid misunderstandings, Iīm still a great fan of Mesa Boogie amps and also their Fixed Bias concept or philosophi. I had never any problems with their power tubes and got always good sound results, apart from the stock 6L6 STR 420 , my MK IV came with in 1991.
My measuring results do change nothing about that, no flaming against Mesa Boogie. Itīs just for technically interest, clearing things and getting more detail information.
A further interesting thing seems to be, that my Mark IV and perhaps also the other Mesa Boogie amps, sounds good also with such fairly low bias idle current values and also not noticable better with higher currents.

guitarnijboer
28 juni 2008, 19:10
Mesa boogie zegt dat de kleurcodes niets uitmaken voor de baisstroom. Dit klopt alleen omdat de baisspanning die aangelegd wordt in versterkers verschilt. heb je bijvoorbeeld een setje code grijs in je versterker en heeft een vriend van je code groen in die van hem dan zal de baisstroom in beide versterkers ongeveer gelijk zijn. De baisspanning zal niet gelijk zijn en dit is wat de ruststroom bepaald.

Heeft grijs bijvoorbeeld een ruststroom van 20mA bij -53V
dan heeft groen bijvoorbeeld een ruststroom van 20mA bij -55V

Zet je nu de grijze in de groene versterker dan staat deze kouder gebaist, zet je de groene buizen in de grijs amp dan staat deze warmer ingesteld.

En dan nog iets over baisen zelf. Het enige doel van baisen is om zoveel ruststroom te laten lopen dat er geen crossover vervorming meer plaatsvindt.
Bij heel goed gematchte buizen heb je slechts een kleine ruststroom nodig om te zorgen dat er geen crossover vervorming meer is. Bij minder goed gematchte buizen moet deze stroom veel hoger zijn om de crossovervevorming tot het zelfde niveau te reduceren. Je kunt pas iets zeggen over het wel of niet goed ingesteld staan van je versterker nadat je de crossoververvorming hebt gemeten. De ruststroomsterkte zegt op zich niet veel.